News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Trailer hitch

Started by Limey57, 2016-06-12 14:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

When I re-wired the Ranchero I incorporated trailer wiring to give the UK-correct wiring for the trailer separate brake lights/orange turn signals, all I needed now was a trailer hitch. I looked at various modern European hitches which I could have adapted, but they just didn't look "right", a 2008 VW hitch on a 1957 Ford left a bad taste in my mouth, so lets break out the stick-welder.

The main cross member of the hitch is 2" square tube with 1/4" wall, the brackets on the ends are 2" angle (1/4" thick), holes are for 1/2" bolts, approximately 5" apart and bolt up through the chassis rails.  The bracket in the middle bolts through the hole in the middle of the rear crossmember of the Ranchero, this crossmember isn't very stiff but I reasoned that seeing as there was a hole in it I might as well use it and it will add some stiffness.  This is bolted with a 5/8" bolt.

All joints are fully welded using an arc (stick) welder and gussets welded at every joint.  I used a US receiver that takes a 2" ball mount and pin.  I just need to swap the 2" ball for a 50mm ball (the difference is minor but a 50mm coupling will not quite fit onto a 2 ball).

Gary

1957 Ranchero

BWhitmore

Great looking hitch!  You are a master fabricator.

petew

Nice looking Ranchero too , I love it in white.