News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hub cap modification

Started by clusterbuster, 2016-06-19 19:03

Previous topic - Next topic

clusterbuster

After switching to 15 inch wheels on the rear for the disc brake modification naturally one can't use the original 14 inch hub caps . I thought I would experiment and took a pair of 56 Ford 15 inch hub caps and cut the outer edge off and snapped it over the 14 inch cap and walla it worked. It is a really tight fit and really does not look all that bad. I have skirts on, so only a bit shows, but you can still see the original cap configuration.

RICH MUISE

Very clever...and they look good!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

jvo

That is pretty clever.  I think we should have the rest of the story though.  How about a couple of pics on how it was done?  I'm not exactly getting it, but it does look good, and it allows for the use of the original caps.  Thanks.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

clusterbuster

When I get a chance I will pull one off and take a picture of the back side. I bought a set of  four 56 Ford hub caps cheap last summer at a car show here in Pennsylvania. I had the 56 caps on the back for a while but they looked out of place- not very good. Took my rotary air cut off tool and just cut the outer edge of the 56 cap leaving a piece that looks very similar to a narrow chrome trim ring. I snapped the cut off piece over the outer edge of the 14 inch cap using a pry tool. It is so tight that I don't know if I could get it off without bending the cap. I elongated the valve stem hole just slightly so the stem has plenty of give.

clusterbuster

Here is a picture of the inside of the 57 cap. Notice that there are now two rows of clips that attaches the cap to the rim, only using the 56 cap clips to attach it.

Ecode70D

I always said that we have some smart guys on this site.  That's a great idea. 

Ford Blue blood

That is really cool!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II