News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

gold side trim

Started by Marc, 2016-07-12 06:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Does anyone have any scrap pieces of gold side trim? I'd like to experiment with some different finish options without ruining my existing trim.

57chero

I have some front fender and a couple of door pieces, they would be more expensive to ship full length though. If you didn't care I could cut them in three shorter pieces for shipping . Ive hauled these things around for years to swap meets and still have them.

57chero

I forgot to mention I played around with different techniques . I had some powder coated they came out to smooth couldn't hardly see the texture then I tried some gold leaf type paint that looked pretty close but when touched came off on your finger so I clear coated it then it changed the color so then I sent the best set I had in and had them re anodized which didn't look bad from a distance but when you got close at different angles you could see every little flaw and bend that didn't show up before, so after running out of Ideas I forked out $500 and bought a set from Burtons Antique Auto Parts   THE END.

Marc

What would you want for them? I have no problem with cutting them up into shorter pieces for shipping.

57chero

You can have them for the cost of shipping, What's your zip.

Lou

Years ago I was in a art supply store and found some gold paper that looked like the pattern on the 57 Ford gold trim, I bought it, pasted it to the gold inserts, clear coated it used it on  the car I was restoring. I saw the car 20 years later at a car show and it still looked good. Total cost about $10.00.

ragtop

I did a custom build and a guy in hemming's makes some from some gold stuff that's close but not exact and cut some for me without lock cut outs in doors on a Fairlane 500  and then used custom 300 upper door and fender  stainless on  it to get rid of lock trim

Marc

Zip is 06712. No rush, I'm a long way from being ready to reinstall mine.

Lou, that's an interesting approach! Surprised it held up that long.

Ragtop,
Is that it on that Fairlane? It looks great.

ragtop

yes that's what it looks like I don't know were the guy in hemming's gets the gold stuff from but its just as thick as the real trim and he cuts it to order

Lou

The paper I got from the art store was really a gold foil with a paper back, once I glued it to the inserts I coated  it with a clear lacquer making sure I sealed the edges, after it dried  then buffed and waxed it. In the 20 years between my restoration and me seeing it again I doubt the car was ever driven in bad weather.