News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What tranny code?

Started by JDoug, 2016-08-02 20:26

Previous topic - Next topic

JDoug

I have the data plate that does not show trans or rear end code...  How can I determine which auto trans I have?.. I am new to this forum and a new 57 owner.. I can post my door data plate if that is appropriate....  Thanks all for any help

Hoosier Hurricane

If it still has the original trans, it is a 3 speed "Ford-O-Matic.  It will have a cast iron removable bell housing, a cast iron main case, and an aluminum tail housing.  On the left side, aft of the shift lever, is an oval data plate with a four letter code identifying which version it is.  Three letters, a dash, and a fourth letter.  Not to be confused with the 2 speed, all aluminium case "Ford-O-Matic offered in '59.   The shift lever legend will only show P-R-N-D-L, which makes a lot of people think it a 2 speed, but it is 3 speed which normally takes off in 2nd and shifts once to high.  If you mash the pedal to the floor on take off, it will take off in 1st and shift twice.  You can also manually select 1st by putting the shift lever in L position, then moving it to D when you are ready, it will shift to 2nd, then to high.   John

gasman826

If the red plate on the side of the transmission is unreadable or missing, just measure the center case...bell housing to tail housing...most likely a 'small case'.  Info only necessary for ordering parts.

fatsman.com
or
nwtparts.com

Contibob

There were two Fordomatics in 1957. Small case in most passenger cars, medium case in Station Wagons and T'Bird if I remember correctly.