News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Body and frame separation...

Started by mustang6984, 2016-11-03 17:46

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

So...I did this once before...before I had real tools. Separated a Sedan Delivery body from the frame. BUT...it was a very long, difficult and extremely annoying process. Not one I care to repeat again some 40 years later.
So...has any one done this without having to literally cold chisel through bolts that are "welded" to the body nuts due to years of rust/dirt turning the bolt and nut into one piece?
Because the nut that sits inside the spacer/washer on the outside of the car has been dimpled into place, it is not possible to get a socket onto that nut, which means that to remove the bolt, one must put a socket/impact on the bolt above. I am on the first of the interior bolts, and everything is spinning...and after PB-Blaster, and heat...I sit here trying to figure out how this is going to go (hopefully) easier than the one 40 years ago did.

Suggestions anyone?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

it's an annoying job that's true. If you have sprayed them with WD 40 or similar for a few days and they still won't come off, I tack welded the lower nuts to the body mount washers. the heat breaks the frozen bolts loose sometimes. if they still don't come out, I used 2 vice grip pliers on the lower body mount washers, trying to lock them against a floor brace, frame part or whatever is next to it. if that still doesn't help I used flat stock or angle iron to  weld to the washers/nuts and an adjacent body/frame part.
on some nuts I was able to slip on an open end wrench and lock it with vice grips.
it sounds terrible and it maybe is, but you should get those old frozen bolts removed in a day or so. I remember the squealing noise some of the bolts made when they had to come out and how hot some of them were after removal...

mustang6984

I sprayed the one I was working on today quite liberally with PB Blaster. Tried heating it with a propane torch...(don't have access to a welder). Wish I did have access to a welder...the idea of welding angle iron to the washer has a LOT of merit.
I'll try with the open end wrench and vise-grips...Thanks! And I can imagine that with the friction from breaking them loose and finally getting them out...they will indeed be hot.

Thanks for the ideas! Might go on a hunt for a welder...

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2016-11-03 18:21
it's an annoying job that's true...... I remember the squealing noise some of the bolts made when they had to come out and how hot some of them were after removal...
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

It's a anti-thief deterrent...keeps thieves from stealing the body from the frame.

If the body hasn't been off the frame in 60 years, its due for new body insulators.  Gas axe them and get it done as quickly and easily as possible.  New insulator kits are available.  Save yourself for other necessary disassembly tasks.

Remember to install the new ones with Never Seize...60 years from now, someone will thank you.

terry_208

When removing mine, I center punched them and drilled them out.  It was a pain but I didn't have the rubber burning. 
Terry

mustang6984

gasman...never heard of a body being stolen off a frame. LOL!!! Don't have a torch set-up...or I would just cut them off.

terry...I may well have to drill them out...I can see hours of work ahead doing that. UGH!

Thanks guys.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

I don't remember the exact time I spent using the drill.  If I remember correctly it only took a few hours total to affect the separation.   That included waiting on may granddaughter to come over to give me a hand.  I didn't have to drill them all out, I believe it was three, but had to hold the "nuts" from the bottom while having g/d turn the bolts.  I only had two or three body bolts come out w/o trouble.
Terry

RICH MUISE

What gasman said...your going to need a new mounting kit. There's only one manufacturer, so get one asap because when Dennis Carpenter runs out, so will everyone else as they get them from him. I had to wait a year for them to rerun the kits.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Terry...I had two come out easily...the rest, so far, have been uncooperative. So...I took out my trusty Harbor Freight grinder,m put a cutting blade on it, and lopped off their heads...and punched them out through the bottom. Tried to drill the first one, broke the bit, and decided to hell with it.

Rich...always intended to buy a new mounting kit. I already bought an entire new body assembly kit...I don't believe in using old fasteners, plus the old isolators are dry enough to deflect bullets! Talk about HARD! YIKES!!!
I planned on getting them from Carpenter...didn't know they run out though. Thanks for the heads up, I saw his kits the other night when I was perusing his website. I will do that soon then! Thanks again for the warning!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker