News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

ford alum radiator insanity

Started by bogey, 2008-05-15 00:53

Previous topic - Next topic

bogey

thanks for all the input as i knew there was info to be had,my partner in crime on this caper has raced stock cars drag strip and all the rest,i have done some myself,but u know the story,only one smart guy in this game and it is not me if u get my drift.so i did not put a t bird radiator in the car put an alum 2core same as 66chevelle aftermarket,made 2small brkts for the drvs side to mount it up.used new top hose with spring in it for the top and a couple hoses for bottom,used orilley 351 thermostat racing style full flow i think its called,flex fans have never been my favorite but the hand behind the fan feels lots of air,buttttt will investigate getting a 6 or 7blade fixed fan.as for a closed system need a definition on that please?? passed up a 60s ford metal water tank at the last swap meet.hmmmmm maybe next time.this same radiator and flex fan cool a 600 hp chev with a temp guage in the water pump thats says 150 after idling for 30 or 40 minutes so guessing its 180 or 190 in real temp cause its got alum heads and intake.the temp at 220 not pushing water drives me crazy so its just a mental disorder i guess but hell tx is hot and its not hot outside here yet.my shroud will be here friday i think, and i can fight with jim over the flex fan issue then.me i like a big fan like u do.as for the external fans they are off a t bird turbo with dual fans mount them back of the grill maybe,knew this was going to be fun ive fought this fight with the chev pu i tole u about so i knew nuttn is easy.my feelings were to leave the thermostat cause the water has to slow down to cool as it flows,and alum is suppose to throw off 40 percent more heat.grrrr well heres a little info just bought a 56 ford conv that was cut off top that nice clean with a 351 cleveland that needs the water pump installed maybe i can do this twice or more times,going to work on my mental disorder about cars needing to run 180 to 195 in tx heat,buy a fixed fan,buy a crying towel for me and my partner when its not his way,going to post additional info on this site for a 57FORD CUSTOM LEFT FRONT FENDER AND INNER FENDER GUY HERE IN FT WORTH AREA HAS ONE FOR SALE IF ITS NOT OK TO POST IT FOR MEMBERS OF THIS SITE LET ME KNOW AND U CAN FLAG IT DOWN OR I WILL PULL THE AD IF I CAN FIGURE THAT OUT BEST TO ALL WHO WROTE AND THANKS THE SAGA CONTINUES FROM BOGEY IN DOWNTOWN COWTOWN TX

Hoosier Hurricane

Bogey:

Maybe this is a silly question, but are you sure your temperature gauge is accurate?

John

57AGIN

Bogy:

This may also be a silly question, but have you measured the temperature with an Infra Red heat gun.  When I was having a concern with my 57's temperature here in "much cooler Southern Calif." I took the car into my Radiator Shop & we put the IR gun onto the block, heads and radiator inlet to get a clearer picture of what was going on.  My temp gauge was off but we did identify that my original radiator & fan setup was not up to the task.

Bob
57AGIN

shopratwoody

A meat therm will work also. Heating problems are a pita. Is your engine real high comp?
Timing right on? Bottom hose not sucking in or obstructed? Just a few small things
to check. Rad new?
  I've run stock radiators for yrs with no problems. Even with built motors. No elec
fans either.
you'll hit on it soon. Good Luck
Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!