News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Dash removal

Started by terry_208, 2017-02-20 12:26

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

I am trying to remove the dash on my Custom.  The problem I'm having, It doesn't seem to be loose.  I've removed the braces between the dash and upper part of the kick panels, the 6 metal screws near the windshield, the 4 nuts from the defroster housing and the pedal to dash support, two bolts, and at firewall four bolts and two metal screws.  Yet, the dash seem solidly attached.

Please tell me what I'm missing.

Thanks.

Terry

Terry

RICH MUISE

What's been removed from the car at this point? Are you removing the pedal assembly with the dash, or is it already out? Steering wheel/column, etc.? Steering wheel column to dash bracket? did you undo the pedal hanger assy's bracket that bolts to the firewall?
I can't remember if the defrost plenum sandwiches the dash to the ledge...i suspect it does.... that plenum may need to be removed. Is the brake pedal assy removed, or totally unbolted from the dash? All of the lower garnish rail mouldings and A-pillar cover at the windshield.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

I'm sorry.  I forgot to say that the column was removed.   I've also removed the windshield garnish moldings.  I have not removed the pedal assembly but it is loose just sitting there.  I've not pulled all the wires/cables completely through the firewall but have pulled slack. 

I will attempt to remove the defrost assembly and see if that helps allows the dash to be liberated from it's 60 year hibernation.

It seems that the dash is still solidly attached and  I am reluctant to work the dash too hard without knowing that it is unbolted.
Terry

djfordmanjack

defrost needs not removed. comes out with dash in one piece! I assume that the sealant /noise deadener sticks to the dash. there is a lot of the tarmac stuff around the perimeter of the dash and on the upper cowl.  Try wiggle it or use a moderate heat gun to warm up the perimeter of the dash. if it sticks to sealant it should easily come loose with heat.

terry_208

Thanks for the advice.  The dash is now liberated from it's resting place. 

What I found:  the defrost assembly simply fell out when the dash finally came loose.  I had one bolt, just under the windshield, still fastened holding the pedal assembly.  When the dash cleared the pedal assembly, it simply fell out.  When I removed the attaching bolt the pedal assembly too, fell to the floor.   
Terry