News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

alternator no charge

Started by wv 57s forever, 2008-06-26 11:46

Previous topic - Next topic

wv 57s forever

:deadhorse: In a charging system is there anything required other than a battery, alternator, and a voltage regulator and of course wiring. I cant get any charge from new alt, new regulator. the car has no inside wiring other than the ignition switch connected, i have checked continuity between field to field and stator to stator, and they are OK. what am i missing? thanks a lot

shopratwoody

I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me but you need a wire from the ign.
sw in the on position to make it work when the keys on.
I hate blocksanding!

larryb346

you have to have a moment of power to excite the stator to begin charging. Usually this comes from the start side of the ignition switch.
Larry

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: larryb346 on 2008-06-26 19:58
you have to have a moment of power to excite the stator to begin charging. Usually this comes from the start side of the ignition switch.
Larry
or from the idiot light.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

wv 57s forever

thanks its OK now, what a great place to ask questions, always someone with an answer.

Fairlane500Ron

WV
Would you please share the details of the "Fix" ?
Thanks
Ron

wv 57s forever

well i really haven't fixed it completely , because i am not sure if there will be power to excite the stator when i finish the wiring inside but i believe there will be. all i did was start the car the ran a wire to the stator from the( what a dumb ass , coil what an exciting experience, msd ignition and blaster coil) then i pulled that alligator clip off and went to battery touched the stator post on alternator with hot wire and it started to charge. if it doesent maybe i can change the solenoid for one with two posts and use the 2nd post to excite it?

57 Ford Kustom

As stated above use your idiot light to excite the alt, or run a wire to the acc. side of the ign switch.

TOM :unitedstates: :burnout:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.