2 Nice articles one on Y-Blocks and one on a 57 Ranch Wagon

Started by briney, 2008-07-09 20:51

Previous topic - Next topic

briney

All,

I just received my September issue of Street Rodder magazine and in reading it I found two very good articles.

I know some or most of you already know about most of the new parts being made for Y-Blocks, but some may not.
One article covers the history of the Y-Block and gives contact information for supplier's making new parts. 
It also includes a nice section on who is making some adapters for late model transmissions for Y-Blocks.

The other article is a nice 57 ranch wagon on page 172 with a 76 Torino front suspension.  Very interesting.

Let me know what you think of the articles if you get a chance to read them.

Patrick / Dallas TX   :unitedstates:

If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

KidKourier

I enjoyed the article on the pedigree of the Ford Y-Block, always nice to reminice about  their history and comparision to the performance engines of that time. "But" I really wish the magazines would due an interview with John Mummert on his stroker motors (reliable street, street/strip, and race ) and show examples of each build-up with HP/Torque ratings, or anyone else who doing performance Y-Block builds! I know,old school right? Well with the price of gas ,why not! Look  at pages 72-74 in the same mag. where they took a Ford crate motor and threw a bunch of Edelbrock parts on it and dyno out at-- stock crate: 281 hp @4,500 rpm   Edelbrock:374.1 hp @5000/393 lb-ft torque and this was a 351 c.i. motor!If I remember right the Y-Block in '57 put out 270-280 hp w/dual quads and 300 hp w/supercharger which some say were underrated and really produced about340 hp, this folks was over 50 years ago!Now with stroker motors out to 338 c.i.s, alum. manifolds and water pumps,headers etc.( with John working on alum. heads) this would be a viable motor for a street car or streetrod . I know, this should have been posted on " Y-Blocks Forever.com") but you asked! :003:    Kid

Zapato

enjoyed both articles, would have liked a bit more detailed coverage of the wagon.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72