News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brake Lines

Started by Contibob, 2018-09-09 23:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Contibob

This weekend I found that the metal brake lines on the differential are seeping.  Has anyone else replaced these only or does one have to buy a complete kit to get OEM style?

SkylinerRon

You can buy indiv pieces. I'd check the lines on the frame for rust out. Just made up some for a truck from parts store sections. It is hard to get the length right and you can't get the lines with the wire wrap. On a 57 I'd just buy the kit and replace them all. When I did my 57 back in 1984 you couldn't buy the pre made lines and it was a pain to make them all up from scratch.

Goodluck,

Ron.

cokefirst

If you want pre-bent lines there are two good sources.  One is Inline Tube and the other is Classic Tube.  Both make the pre-bent lines in standard steel or stainless steel.  The standard steel is easier to work with, because even the best pre-formed lines are going to take a little adjustment to fit right.  The stainess is much harder to bend to make those adjustments.  Neither line will have the little coil spring covering at the end of the line.  If you can find some wire of the correct diameter, you may be able to duplicate that if you are building a show car.  I prefer the stainless because it is stronger and will last longer.  However, the standard steel is much easier to work with.  Both these companies will make you lines that are model specific.  Dan
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

RICH MUISE

When I ordered my s.s. brake line kit from Inline Tube many years ago, they came with the wire springies and if I recall, a few pieces also had a rubber sleeve in places. The really long one will come bent in the middle for shipping. It will be labeled as such with "straighten here" tags/labels. Since I ended up making so many brake system changes, I could only use a portion of what I bought.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Contibob

Thanks guys, I was hoping to find them with the springie things but if not anything is better than leaky lines.