News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

E Brake Cable Pin Question

Started by lalessi1, 2018-10-07 11:54

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I am replacing the front cable on the emergency brake (for the second time) and I am having an issue replacing the dowel pin. Looking for suggestions on how to press the pin back in with the assembly still under the dash.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I thought that pin was a screw-in threaded stud. Couldn't find pics of my rebuilt assembly.
edit........... did some searching and found a thread where someone talked about driving the pin out with a drift pin, so I guess you're correct in that it is a press-in. They didn't talk about how it was reassembled, just that it was finished.
Wouldn't a c-clamp work to press it back in? May be kinda awkward trying to get both arm/hands down there. Maybe a thin magnet to hold the pin in place while you're trying to get the clamp on it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

thomasso

As I recall its a slightly tapered pin that is knurled.  I don't think the hole goes completely thru.  Tap it in or push in with Vise Grips or similar device.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

RICH MUISE

The old thread poster mentioned he found a hole in the bottom of the housing where he was able to insert the drift pin and tap out the pin....not that it makes any difference on the reinstall, but worth mentioning

Ecode70D

I somewhat remember using vice grips on it like Thomasso said.

lalessi1

I think I used vice grips the first time... I bent the pin this time. New pins are available from Concours, I had to break the old one to get it out. I tried the c clamp thing too, maybe it just wasn't in straight to start. Th hole will take a 5/32 drift pin for future reference.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Maybe undoing the screws that hold the handle end to the dash will let it drop low enough to be more accesible.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-10-08 10:04
Maybe undoing the screws that hold the handle end to the dash will let it drop low enough to be more accesible.
Doesn't the bottom also bolt through the firewall?, I seem to remember loosening those to let the assembly drop down
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Yeah, DDDUUUUHHH! I was having a senior moment. It would have to.

lalessi1

I did remove the bolts at the bottom of the dash and it does help. The nuts on the studs firewall side are almost completely inaccessible with the fender on. It is a really poor design IMHO.
Lynn

lalessi1

Did a little virtual shopping... found a shoulder bolt 1/4" shoulder x 3/8" shoulder length with 10-32 threads. I should be able to run a tap through the existing hole and use the socket head on the bolt to tighten it down. I bought a few extras if anybody wants to do the same thing.
Lynn

hiball3985

Is the hole diameter small enough to thread for 10-32?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Lynn, when you removed the old broken pin, are you sure it wasn't tapped ? Possibly this is a late in the year production item? I remember tryin to pry out the old one only to find it was threaded when it broke. If I remember right I replaced it with another threaded pin. I am not sure if we're talking about the same part. you know how they changed things midway in the model year. both my wagons are late as May and August 57.

lalessi1

Positive the pin is press in. The first one I removed was original to the car, it came out in one piece but I lost it. the one in the pic is a repop, I couldn't get it out without breaking it. The largest drill bit that would fit in the hole was 5/32" almost the same size as the drill for tapping 10-32 threads.
Lynn

hiball3985

You can't harden steel in a wok  :003: Sorry Lynn I couldn't resist...
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang