News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Window Regulator Removal

Started by Jaybird, 2019-01-26 14:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaybird

Hi I need to remove the drivers side glass and regulator from the 2dr wagon. Glass is cracked and the bushings are toast in the regulator. What is the best wag to get that all out? Just unbolt the 3 regulator bolts and go from there or?
In God We Trust!
    Jaybird
1932 Ford Roadster
1957 Ranch Wagon
1961 Econoline P/U
1962 Merc Monterey S-55
1966 Mustang Hdtp
1968 Mustang Hdtp

gasman826

The regulator does not need to come out for removing the window.  It is an excellent time to clean and lube the regulator but it is not necessary to remove.  There is a E-clip on the back side of the regulator arm.  Get in there with a light and mirror to see it.  Pop the clip and arm off and the window is free of the regulator.  The rollers are steel and usually do not wear out but do freeze up with rust.  There is a little clip that holds the two halves of each roller together.  Pull these clips and the roller halves will split and free the window from the cross arms and the short track.  I have always rebuilt the channels, division bar, and the vent window so I take those loose too.  The window has to be rolled on end to come out.  Sounds difficult but after you have done a couple, it's not too bad.

Jaybird

Thanks for the tips! Yeah the window gets cocked when I try to roll it up so the bushings track and rollers etc will need to be worked. The roof is chopped 2 inches so the window may be easier to pull out. It's cracked anyway. Will I need to pull the channel that the window sits in before removal or is that done after its out? Appears to be glued in. Thanks again!
In God We Trust!
    Jaybird
1932 Ford Roadster
1957 Ranch Wagon
1961 Econoline P/U
1962 Merc Monterey S-55
1966 Mustang Hdtp
1968 Mustang Hdtp

gasman826

channel comes out after the glass.  Removing both the lower channel adjustment and the lower division bar adjustment bolts are helpful if not necessary.