News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Chrome plastic look for delete panels.

Started by 59meteor, 2019-01-13 17:41

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

I plan on installing my factory plastic radio and clock delete plastic panels, but the chrome finish is looking pretty worn or faded. Has anybody had any luck trying to refinish these pieces with some type of paint or other coating? I realize that no spray paint will exactly duplicate the original chrome look, but hope to get something reasonably close. I have considered the "chrome" paint made for plastic models from a hobby shop, but having used that when building my car models as a kid, I know it would stay soft, and show fingerprints, and it would rub off over time, with handling. We used to have a local guy that was well known for vacuum plating plastic for dashboards and similar stuff, but he closed his business several years ago. Has anybody had any good plastic plating done recently, and if so, where was it done, and at what cost?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

I recently bought a repop heater delete plate from a company that was unfinished. I did a internet search and sent it to be "chrome plated" using a vacuum metalizing process that was originally used to do the factory plates. That was a bust, it looked good at first but it flaked off. I bought another one and sent it to Paul's Chrome and had it truly chrome plated... that turned out awesome, the thing feels like metal. I can give details if anyone is interested but is was a bit expensive and it took quite a while.
Lynn

djfordmanjack

orginal chroming process would be the best of course ( I believe the plastic is sprayed with a carbon-ish coating, which is conductive and can than be copper and chrome plated.)
If you are on a budget and as you mentioned a model builder, try aluminium tape, like what is used for heat plumbing insulation. it should be wide enough to cover the height of our panels and it can be stretched and rubbed into the ridges and ribs easily with a soft cotton towel or similar. it can also then be polished like aluminium. I even coated the spokes of an old Covico Steering wheel from the 1960s which the chrome was bad. it looked pretty decent and set me back around 5 ct.  :003:

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

If I read your old post correctly, Joe, you toned the existing chrome to match the originals, correct? You didn't actually paint the "chrome finish" correct? It does look fantastic, whatever was done.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

Yeah, I misted the flat black over the new plastic chrome that came with the new radio to match the vintage chrome that was on the clock and the heater control.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

FiveSevenLiter

Atomic Plating in Mission does plastic plating.
Terry
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin