Any Forum Members have a '55-'57 T'Bird? I have a question you could answer.

Started by KYBlueOval, 2019-01-23 08:48

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I believe that '55-'57 Thunderbirds have  "engine turned" overlays on the gauge cluster and the strip where the radio,and heater controls are located. I'm considering using a Engine Turned overlay on my Ranchero dash ,and the console being constructed.
My question is this.........what size is the Engine Turned Circle? Is it a 1/2" circle or 3/4" circle?
What size is it?
Thanks
John   

lotsafords

As memory serves it is the 1/2" variety.  Will look good on your car as it does on the Birds.

KYBlueOval

Thanks for the reply and information. I was thinking that the T'birds were 1/2 inch or there abouts. Yes, I believe it would look good. Samples will be here soon, and I'll see if I like the look on my Ranchero.

Oldmics

.475 on the O.D. of the turnings with the center to center of the turnings overlaped at .275

Oldmics

KYBlueOval

Oldmics............that information is exactly what I was hoping this great forum would tell me.
A Big Thank you sir!
John

Tom S

John, you probably won't like this idea for the engine turned panels but it did turn out ok for me. So far.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=3885.msg24654#msg24654
It also needs these raised trim edges in this pic to make it all look right.
I came up with something that might work for that & would be glued on but never got quite finished with this little project since there were other more important things on the car that needed to be addressed.

Oldmics

Forgot to mention that the overlap starts on the left side and goes to the right side.

I"ve heard mention that when Ford reproduced the dash turnings in the 70s , they screwed up and did the turnings from right to left side.   :005:

Oldmics

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Tom S on 2019-01-24 16:52
John, you probably won't like this idea for the engine turned panels but it did turn out ok for me. So far.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=3885.msg24654#msg24654
It also needs these raised trim edges in this pic to make it all look right.
I came up with something that might work for that & would be glued on but never got quite finished with this little project since there were other more important things on the car that needed to be addressed.
Tom, thanks for the information. My "plan" as of today, is to only apply an engine turned SS panel to the Instrument Cluster and the console that is being built. Not on the strip where the heater, radio  and clock were located. I like the trim pieces you pointed out.........I'll have to look into that.
John