News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

292 Y block engine resurfacing block?

Started by chapingo17, 2019-03-03 13:11

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

I currently have a 292 Y block with a rebuilt engine. Now at 6,000 miles I got a small oil leak coming from the end of the engine. Were the engine and block meet by the fire wall. I removed the driver's side head and install new seal and used Copper spray to fill any imperfections. At the time of the rebuilt I don't think they resurface the engine block (Heads were resurface). Now it looks like I have a leak at the passager side. Just trying to eliminate some oil leaks. Has any one had any experience with this issue on the Y block? I'm going to probably end up removing the engine and resurface the block. Any suggestions?

suede57ford

There is only one oil passage on the block to cylinder head. It is near the center of the head above the two middle cylinders.    there should be no way oil can leak from the middle of the head gasket to the end of the head.   You would have water leaks at the ends of the heads if you were to have leaks due to the head gasket not sealing.  I would not take the effort to remove the heads unless it's leaking water.

Did you use steel shim head gaskets or modern composite?

If you are having oil leaks in those areas you need to look at one of the places that actually have oil up top on the engine.  I would suspect either your valley pan or the valve covers are leaking.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

chapingo17

Ok that's a good point I will verify and the head covers. But, it looks as if it's coming from in between the head and the engine's block.

Hoosier Hurricane

The engine in my '56 Bird was not built by me but by a previous owner.  It always seeped a little oil down the side of the block on the right side.  I finally tore it down and here's what I found.  First, the long head bolts were mixed up, and a long bolt was next to the oil feed to the rockers.  So, even though the torque wrench said 75 pounds, the head was not clamped tight because the bolt was bottomed out.  Next, it had steel shim gaskets.  Then I could see where the oil was moving from the rocker feed into the formed beads in the shim gasket.  It then progressed through the various beads until it found its way out along the side of the block.  A good cleaning and a new composition gasket and the block stays clean now.  I replaced the other head gasket also, and the bolts were mixed up on that side too.   John

racton

:unitedstates:very informative.....thanks   racton

chapingo17