News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Early vs Late Fairlane

Started by Tallbrandy, 2019-04-12 08:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Tallbrandy

What determines an early vs late Fairlane 500?  I have come across many parts that will work for one or the other, but I cannot find a date or any other criteria that defines what is early vs late.  Can anyone enlighten me?   :sign13:

lalessi1

I am not sure there is such a designation as "early" or "late". I think like most cars there are changes during production runs where certain parts may be updated as they are needed. So if you wanted to buy a particular part that had been updated at some point the seller might ask for a production date to make sure the part fits.
Lynn

59meteor

Other than the ashtray design, Sedan Delivery tailgate support, and maybe 1 piece vs 3 piece heater/radio/clock trim panel(s), what other running changes can anybody think of that occured with the 57 Fords production run? I have never heard of a "early vs late" production issue myself.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

djfordmanjack

panels for front seat pedestals. colors. several color codes had been refined with 'spring' (of 1957) formulas, such as Silver Mocha. they are actually different color shades ( Aug.56 vs spring 57)!
Skyliner was a late arrival. I am not sure if the Ranchero was available very early on ?
I believe there were quite some mods on the engines, esp comp ratio on the F codes? correct me if I am wrong. we would need to search all the service bulletins, I am sure there were hundreds of mods and there will be quite some knowledgable people here to state them!

terry_208

IIRC there was a difference in the filter for the road draft tube or the oil filter. It's been a long time to remember so I may be wrong. I know that in about '66 I found out there was a difference.
, early vs late.
Terry

gasman826

early and late is less about the vehicle but more about individual parts or features.  Some parts may have vehicle serial number breaks but may still fit.  An example would the a '57 and '58 hood latch has a early part number.  A '59 hood latch is a different part and part number but supersedes the '57/58 part number and retrofits the older models.

Tallbrandy

Thanks everyone!  I was finding various parts that were designated for early or late 57 models, but no other information was provided so I wasn't sure which one would be appropriate for my car.  I suppose the best thing to do in that case would be to contact the seller about that specific part and find out what the criteria is.   :045:

gasman826

sometimes there is a before/after date in the Illustration and Parts books.