News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Having a hard time with front clip removal

Started by DrDragon, 2019-03-29 09:51

Previous topic - Next topic

DrDragon

The front center bolt had to be cut because the nut would just spin. Also the bolt that goes through the driver's inner fender well into the firewall just spins and I can't access the nut from behind. Does anyone supply the front center bolt?

RICH MUISE

I'd grind the head off the bolt so you can get the inner fender off, then you can take it from there.
If anybody is now making those core support bolts, I'm not aware. I wished somebody with a lathe and mill would make a run of them..preferably a high tensile strength stainless. That thread may be unusual in today's world, but new ones could be made with a common fine thread easy to find nuts for. The originals were probably made from forgings.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

DrDragon

Thanks rich, I was just about to do that. I could possibly get someone to make the bolt.

rmk57

It would be easy enough to cut the rest of the threads off , drill and tap new threads for a stud.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

DrDragon

Quote from: rmk57 on 2019-03-29 10:48
  It would be easy enough to cut the rest of the threads off , drill and tap new threads for a stud.
Hadn't thought of that. Good idea thanks.

DrDragon

RICH MUISE

Very nice. In this pic your paint looks similar to mine, but I assume it's really the lighter blue.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

DrDragon

It's similar to the original color but has metalflake in it so it's not original.