News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Lokar dipstick in an AOD/AODE/or 4r70w?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2019-05-30 18:24

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

by any chance, has anyone used a Lokar transmission dipstick assembly? It's the type that just push in, not the screw in dipstick tube like on the C4's. I can push it all the way in with some force, but it just pops back out, not sealing. The old dipstick tube had an o-ring on the tube itself, but now I'm wondering if the transmission has one also, or other seal, deep down in the hole.
THOR: if you're reading this, is that empty 4R70W case you have,near where you can look at it to see if there is an o-ring inside the dipstick hole?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

I'm still using OEM dipstick but the case is just like a C4 or C6 as far as the dipstick seal.  AOD and 4R70 dipstick hole is a smooth, straight bore with no seal.  There is an O-Ring on the dipstick tube to make the seal.

RICH MUISE

Thanks, Gary. That's what I thought..smooth hole with no seal, but I was hoping there would be...........a reason the Lokar won't stay put. I might have to fashion some sort of clamp to keep it in there tight. Would be a lot easier if I had more room in that area.

RICH MUISE

Got it in..........figured out the way to install is opposite what the Lokar instructions tell you. They tell you to make sure the rubber bushing (they call it a top hat seal) is in place on the dipstick/ fitting, and to push the assembly into the transmission housing. After a few more tries that way, it finally dawned on me to pull that bushing off the dipstick and install it alone in the tranny case, then slide the dipstick tube into it. Perfect, stays in tight. Took 15 seconds.

Thor

Sorry Rich,
I haven't been on the site for a while and missed your question. Looks like you figured it out. If you still want me to look I will. I'd have to dig that trans out though. Hope your engine install is going well!

RICH MUISE

Nothing to be sorry for, Thor. Yep, got it figured out. Got setback 3 or 4 days last Saturday, but other than that, it's getting closer. You know the routine, check two things off the list, add another, lol.