News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

suspension upgrades

Started by 57imposter, 2019-07-14 09:55

Previous topic - Next topic

57imposter

My 61 year old leaf springs were looking and riding a little tired. After searching the old inter web I found and bought 6 leaf replacements from Stengel Bros. I went out last night to just remove the rear tires but one thing led to the next and I ended up getting one side installed and the other side ready to install. It's really refreshing when you go to do a job and everything fits and works just like it should. For me, it doesn't happen very often. I know the new springs will lift the back of the car so I just took a shot and added 1" blocks. Hopefully I will get it on the ground and get a measurement, today, to see if I have to do anything else to the ride height. Next will be tackling the power rack replacement. I have a new Borgeson power box kit and I know that job is going to make up for the easy rear spring job. 

lalessi1

A little late but it was a lot late for me. I ran across a company that makes new rear springs in 6 leaf configuration that will lower our cars.

http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/super_slide_springs/

I have Dayton springs from McVeigh and I wound up using 1" blocks as well. I also have air shocks to adjust the rake just for fun. I love my Borgeson steering BTW. I did think the steering with the original steering wheel is a little touchy. I kept turning into corners WAY too early especially at first. I have a Grant wheel for the time being. I would really rather have a cut down original wheel with a stock horn button.
Lynn

57imposter

The Stengel bros. springs didn't effect ride height and with only a few miles driven, I like them.  I will do about 300 miles this weekend so I should have a good feel about them next week.
  I am kind of anxious to start the Borgeson conversion. Because I used the space where the box goes when I installed the rack, it is going to be a way bigger job than it should be to go back to a box. I  was never happy with the way the rack handled as I have never been able to get enough caster in the front end. Right now the caster setting is right in the middle of where Borgeson wants and the rack is 3 turns lock to lock and the box is 4 so between the two differences, I'm expecting big improvements.
Right now, I am building a bracket to mount a GM pump into a 5.0L serpentine belt setup. I bit of a challenge, but pieces go off to the machine shop next week then to mock up to see if my idea will work.

RICH MUISE

Hey Doug. Glad to hear you like the springs you got. Give me their contact info and I'll add them to our list of suppliers. The no change in ride height is interesting, but I'm wondering if it's because you had 5 leaf (?) springs. Are '58's different than '57's I wonder, or if a po added modified 6 leafs. I guess there is the posibility that Stengler offers a spring modified from oem.
Cancel that.....I just reread your original post stating you installed 1" blocks. Have a good trip this weekend. I should be leaving for Colorado, but I'm not :-\
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57imposter

300 miles on new springs and the ride difference is significant. I put one inch blocks in with the spring install but fond I couldn't get the tire between the brake drum and the fender lip so I took them out and checked the ride height after I got to the show. The back end was too high so put the blocks back in after I got home. Ride height is perfect.   

RICH MUISE

Great to hear. If you haven't done the '56 shocks yet, I think you'll find they'll give enough axel drop to let your tire over the drums. I can't say for sure myself because I also have discs.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

suede57ford

Wild Horses Bronco makes a replacement bracket to mount GM "canned ham" pump on 5.0 serpentine setup.  I bought a lower cost "horseshoe"looking adapter that worked with the original 5.0 aluminum pump bracket.  I had to trim some of the original bracket away to clear the tank of the GM pump but that adapter worked good as well.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

57imposter

Quote from: suede57ford on 2019-07-23 22:04
Wild Horses Bronco makes a replacement bracket to mount GM "canned ham" pump on 5.0 serpentine setup.  I bought a lower cost "horseshoe"looking adapter that worked with the original 5.0 aluminum pump bracket.  I had to trim some of the original bracket away to clear the tank of the GM pump but that adapter worked good as well.
Thanks for that info. I am in contact with them just in case my own design doesn't work out. Mine needs to mount in a stock serpentine setup with A/C. I should know if it will work in the next couple days

57imposter

Well I found out that the linkage I got with the Borgeson power steering box won't fit my car. Caused a mild panic attack. I had no luck locating any pieces on this or any other web site but, thru Craigslist, I got in touch with a guy who is gathering parts for a custom 300 build. I told him that if he would remove the manual steering from his project, I would trade him straight up my complete power rack kit that will have every single part he will need including the complete steering driveline and a fresh, never installed rack. The rack I had on the car was defective so I am waiting for a new replacement and as soon as I get it, I'll be back in business. I know he is coming out on the long end of this trade but I really don't care. Trying to sell that kit would have been more trouble that's worth so I'll just be happy to get my car back on the road.