News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tie rods

Started by 57imposter, 2019-08-23 16:58

Previous topic - Next topic

57imposter

This may qualify as the dumb question of the month but I need to take that chance. I am installing new tie rods on a manual steer 57. Appearence wise they are slightly different mainly being that one is a little beefier at the drag link end. that same link is threaded deeper at the spindle end and ,believe it or not, they have different designed boots on the drag link end. I went and checked and they are sold side specific but no listing details which is which. If left on my own I would probably put the heavier one on the left side but I am hopeful someone has first hand knowledge on which is which as I really want to do this job only once. 

81TTA

The tie rod ends will be threaded differently.  I don't think it's possible to assemble them on the wrong side?  The adjusting sleeves have opposite threads (right-hand on one side, left-hand on the other) so when the sleeve is turned, the tie rod end moves closer or further away from the drag link.  If both had the same thread, the sleeve would move while the rod ends stayed in the same (relative) place.

So, in short, if you can get the drag link-sleeve-rod end all threaded together, you've got the parts assembled correctly.  If you've been trying, unsuccessfully, to thread a rod end into a sleeve for a while, you're probably putting the wrong end in there!

57imposter

I wish it were that simple. tie rod ends are both L.H. thread and will go on either side. Its the difference in tie rod construction that has me wondering.

81TTA

I'm going to have to take a closer look under the car next time I'm there!!  I always thought if the part had a different designation for the hand-ed-ness, it generally indicated the thread direction on the part.  If the sides were interchangeable, they've always looked the same.  It's been years since I've replaced those parts on the '57.  More details getting fuzzier with the passing of time.....

Using that fuzzy memory, though....  When I replaced these, I think there was an "obvious" way they had to be assembled so they cleared the cross-member and didn't bind/hit anything when swinging through the full steering travel.  I don't remember there being any difference in the outer parts.  But, the inner rods where they connect to the drag link had something of an elbow.  If I remember correctly, I had those positioned so the ends hung below the drag link rather than above. 

I don't know if I have any pictures of that assembly.  If nobody replies with an answer, I'll see what I can dig up.

81TTA

I took some pictures of the assembly on a '57 parts car.  Maybe this will help?  I can't say if these parts are original or aftermarket, though.

From the pictures, it does appear the passenger-side outer tie rod might physically larger than the driver-side.  But, that could also be due to the PS side being further away and covered in grease, too.

hiball3985

Very strange that both ends are the same thread, they should be different. Passenger side right thread. driver side left thread as stated above. Maybe replacement rods only come in one thread? Was the tie rod a complete assembly including the adjusting sleeve and ball joint?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57imposter

Quote from: 81TTA on 2019-08-23 19:45
I'm going to have to take a closer look under the car next time I'm there!!  I always thought if the part had a different designation for the hand-ed-ness, it generally indicated the thread direction on the part.  If the sides were interchangeable, they've always looked the same.  It's been years since I've replaced those parts on the '57.  More details getting fuzzier with the passing of time.....

Using that fuzzy memory, though....  When I replaced these, I think there was an "obvious" way they had to be assembled so they cleared the cross-member and didn't bind/hit anything when swinging through the full steering travel.  I don't remember there being any difference in the outer parts.  But, the inner rods where they connect to the drag link had something of an elbow.  If I remember correctly, I had those positioned so the ends hung below the drag link rather than above. 

I don't know if I have any pictures of that assembly.  If nobody replies with an answer, I'll see what I can dig up. Yes it is the physical makeup of the tie rods that has me confused. one is quite a bit heftier at the drag link end and I am sure it is intended to go to one specific side. Of course no instructions in the kit. The threads are a non issue. The tie rods are both right hand threads and the tie rod ends are left hand. They really don't care which compass direction they are pointing. Turn them one way they get longer, turn the other way, they het shorter.

81TTA

Can you take a picture and show us the difference?  Feels like I'm missing something obvious and/or assuming too much about what you've described.....

Did these parts come as a "kit" from an aftermarket supplier?  Or, did you source these directly from the manufacturer of the parts?  I ask because I wonder, if this was a kit put together by a 3rd party, maybe they mix-and-matched parts from different suppliers. 

If I look at some of the common aftermarket suppliers, it appears they all specify the same part number for the ends.  This would make sense as per your description of the threads on these parts.  If the same part number applies to both, there shouldn't be a difference between the sides.

I can't think of a good engineering reason why one side would need to be different (i.e. beefier) than the other.  They both do the same job under the same conditions. 

57imposter

The kit came from Anderson Restorations. SKU-00598 for all full sized 57 and 58 Fords. They have a good picture of the Tie Rods and if you blow the picture up it clearly shows the different construction and even shows the two different designed boots installed on them. I can't post pictures on this site..  I have sent an E-Mail to Anderson so we'll see if they can be any help.