News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hood adjustments

Started by rmk57, 2019-08-26 15:42

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Is there a way to adjust the cowl to hood height?  The "L" shaped dowel has only side to side adjustment and latch mechanism doesn't go low enough.

My original hood fits great and my swap meet hood sits up 3/4" above the cowl with latch as low as it will go. With the hood closed I can push the rear down and it sits nice and flush. It's sort of sloppy and isn't pulling the hood low enough.   The hood is from a Meteor, but I wouldn't think that would make any difference.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

I no longer have a latch, so I can't check, but I'm wondering if it has a double catch affair like the door latches. If so, then lengthen the L pin rather than shorten. If it has the double catch, then the pin needs to be lengthened to engage  the second catch........just a thought.
Have you compared the two L pins?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

The hood I'm trying to fit didn't come with any hardware. I may try stacking a washer or two behind the L-pin to try and shorten it and see if that does anything. I dont think the hoods bent at all, it fits pretty good except for issue on the rear.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

lalessi1

I agree with Rich, since you can push the hood down the second latch doesn't seem like it is catching, might try removing the rubber bumpers on the corner. to see if you can get the second latch to engage. You may need to lengthen the "L" pin.  This is all assuming you don't have a '59 latch. The cowl grate has slotted holes so you can fine tune it.
Lynn

rmk57

Mine doesn't seem to have any second latch. Just one click and your done and this is done with pushing down on it with the hood off. Only other latch would be the safety catch on the side.

I did notice that where the L pin attaches its cracked the metal and slightly pushed up. Could be that has something to do with it.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

KYBlueOval

Lynn..........what difference does it make if you have a '59 latch?

hiball3985

The 59 only has a single latch and spring. I can close the hood with one finger, one of the best improvements I made. It also feels like less strain on the pull cable. I'm not sure if it was intended to be an improvement or just a cost savings.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Lynn