News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

GPS Lost

Started by Ranch, 2019-09-07 13:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranch

I?m having trouble with powering up my GPS that plugs into the cigarette lighter spot.  The lighter works fine but nothing with the GPS.  Looking into the cigarette mount on the dash and the lighter itself, it seems to get its power from the two clamping fingers towards the bottom that I imagine heat up with the element to pop the lighter.  I took my VOM and went into the center and I don?t get any reading, I did try to scratch it with the VOM probe to see if it made better contact, but still nothing.  Since most adapters for phone and GPS have a spring loaded center buttons I was wondering if I?m the only one or is this a common problem with my 58, and what might be the fix?.. Thanks guys in advance

lalessi1

I have the same issue with mine, it won't work the iPhone. The center pin contact is the issue. There was a discussion on this in the recent past, search for "lighter"
Lynn

Ranch

OK problem solved.....That center area in the lighter housing was a lot dirtier than I thought.  I went in there with the end of a small file, not to file but to scrape away the crud and rust that may have been insulating my GPS. Everything seems to be working now, fingers crossed that it's still working to and from a show tomorrow. Sorry to have bothered you guys but a thank you for your response Lalessi
So the fix is, just clean the dam thing :)