News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

low oil pressure in Y block

Started by djfordmanjack, 2019-08-03 06:14

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Just a few more thoughts: Running a lighter oil would just be a cheap experiment since there is no way to tell the condition of the bearings from this far away :003:. But from what I have seen over all the years are most Y's usually need rings before bearings, of course there are always exceptions depending on many factors. I understand your thinking of running a lower oil level for the leak issue but that's pushing your luck a little but the depends on how you drive, I couldn't do that myself. If you have about a quart in the pickup/pump/filter, two quarts splashing around in the crank case, more in the heads and valley that doesn't leave much in the bottom of the pan to cover the pick up and these pans have no baffling. I do a lot of heavy braking and acceleration and left/right corners so I worry about the pick up taking a gulp of air  :005: So I usually run 5 1/2 quarts.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

thomasso

Why waste all the time and brain power diagnosing this.  The engine needs to be pulled and rebuilt.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

djfordmanjack

you are right. in an ideal world this would be the obvious thing to do.
As I have many other obligations and commitments I am just trying to evaluate any options. Obviously driving on low oil pressure and not caring about it is one, but not the best :002:
I am trying to learn from our much experienced members here, and so far there was a real wealth of good tips. thx to everybody !

hiball3985

I have no issue wasting time and brain power if it helps a forum member.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Wasting time and brainpower on diagnosing............one thing my '57 is doing to me lately is proving things are not always as they seem. Some may remember my recent experience where I thought I had a problem with the recently installed tranny seal because I had fluid running out the drain spout on the bellhousing inspection plate.....and I didn't
Just this weekend, I had two "issues" come up on my trip to Albuquerque that ended up being quite different  than what it looked like.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-08-25 08:07
I have no issue wasting time and brain power if it helps a forum member.

X 2 what Rich stated.
      That's what is so nice about this wonderful site.  There is always someone  who has "been there and done that" and is willing to share
his experience.     

RICH MUISE

Com'mon Jay, pay attention. That was Jim you quoted, lol

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-08-25 08:07I have no issue wasting time and brain power if it helps a forum member.

Ecode70D

Rich is correct.  Sorry Jim
    I don't have my head screwed on tight these days.   I even screwed up on the Boston comment.
     Suffering from. CRS.   They say that it gets worse before it gets better.
Jay

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2019-09-09 07:54
Rich is correct.  Sorry Jim
    I don't have my head screwed on tight these days.   I even screwed up on the Boston comment.
     Suffering from. CRS.   They say that it gets worse before it gets better.
Jay
No problem Jay :003: I suffer the same CRS on a daily basis  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

But Jim you are younger than me and shouldn't have GRS.
   And Guenter I'm sorry that I'm invading your thread.

djfordmanjack

no problem Jay. I am younger than both of you and I dont even have GPS !  :003:

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-09-10 01:56
no problem Jay. I am younger than both of you and I dont even have GPS ! 
:laughing4: thats too funny
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE