News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Y Block 292 finally spinning

Started by Swank, 2019-09-22 21:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Swank

Afternoon,  got a basic tune on the 292 since the charging system is straightened out.

https://youtu.be/AL_Jj-RLCDA

That higher pitch sound thats similar to a spastic high school band student going to town on a woodblock,  ...whats the deal with that?   ...exhaust leak maybe?
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

djfordmanjack

could also be a squealing rocker / too much valve backlash or a wrong or loose fuel pump lever ? problem with vaccuum unit on top of it.
maybe a bent oil dip stick ( doubt it).
engine looks great ! Beautiful !

djfordmanjack

Dry rockers can make insane noise in a y block. Did you check oil flow to the valve train with rocker covers off ?
If you pull the covers and find some of them dry, you can put some drips of oil  on the rocker shaft and see if the noise goes away.

Contibob

Could be the heat riser pipe in the intake manifold is rusted out.

Swank

Ahhh,  that heat tube thing.  I didnt really mess with that.  Rockers are all wet currently, i didnt modify the return tubes for pressurizing the rocker shafts, so i'll keep an eye on them.

The old tube (passenger side) coming out of the intake manifold going to the choke was wore out but not rusted out.  It pulled out with just plyers and the inside end was a decent 90 degree cut, so i assumed it was supposed to be that way.  Might have been an old "repair".  I made a new tube just like the one i removed out of nicopp 3/16 brake line.
This tube needs to go all the way through the intake to where that little button thing on the drivers side is, doesnt it?
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Contibob

Yes it does. I have replaced them with the oem type, never thought to use 3/16 brake line. Does it fit snug? The oem one has a special tool to tap it out and install.

Swank

Yeah, the 3/16 tube is close but i wouldnt say snug.  Only thing i had at that moment.   The one i pulled out only went in the manifold about an inch and bottoms out, probably the original tube remnants still in there.  Choke is working good at the moment.  Dont want it sucking exhaust though.
Does the choke tube open up into the exhaust passover path?  Or does it stay in its own little bore all the way through the intake?
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Contibob

It seats on each end of the exhaust crossover. Inside that crossover, the tube, if you could see it would look like it is floating in there. There is an new one on Ebay right now and any of the Vintage Ford parts vendors should sell one so you can see what it looks like.