Need help finding a value 1957 Ford fairlane 500 Convertible

Started by gsxrjtt, 2018-03-01 14:57

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxrjtt

Hey everyone im new to the site and need some help putting a value on a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Convertable. A family member has had this car for over 30 years he is giving me a chance to purchase before it goes to major market. Here are the stats.

1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Convertable.
was restored  30 years ago but looks  same as brand new.
Factory air.
312 engine
Runs and drives

uploading pics for more reference its dirty but all clean under the dust.

gsxrjtt

Couple more pics

Lou

Nice to see a 57 Convertible that's done right. this car has a lot going for it, color, correct interior, what appears to be correct factory air. Value will also depend on where in the country the car is located. I'm in New England (Connecticut) bone stock 50s cars bring top dollar here, with that said I believe this car would bring between $40,000 and $50,000 here. In parts of the country where hot-rods are more popular such as the southwest $30,000 to $40,000.

RICH MUISE

GSXRJTT............beautiful car you have a chance at, hope it works out. You're new to the forum, so you probably are not aware that Lou is a certified appraiser!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gsxrjtt

Yes im new and appreciate all insight. Im just tying to find a good balance for price. I have a 1948 Ford convertible deluxe im considering selling to move into this car.  The Fairlane is located is a nice warm dry climate. This car  very very correct owner is insanely particular but he is just getting to the age where he cannot enjoy the car as he should.  Lou Is the 40-50 a retail number ?  In no way am I looking to sell the car but if im buying from family I would still like to get a deal. Are prices on these going up or are they trending down as the age of these followers dwindles ?

suede57ford

I think if its someone you know and they want you to have it, your not planning on flipping it and they don't have through the hassle of marketing it to get a retail price. Your friend price might be in the $28-$36 range.  Retail would be more but it can take a lot of time to find a buyer with money in hand and the pain dealing with all the low-ballers and tire kickers.  I can see a few things wrong such as the seat inserts.  The Select Air is a nice option and the color combo is good. If it's a really a good solid body and has good paint it would be a great buy even in the 40's.  You need to determine it's not a patch panel car which makes it more like a $25K car.   Looks like the top is nice and wrinkle free too.  Overall it looks like a good representation of a '57 Ragtop. If you truly want it to enjoy one, I wish you good luck.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

rmk57

Not trying to pick the car apart in anyway, it looks very nice, but when you got the 312 Thunderbird special the rocker covers only had a decal on a plain cover didn't they? And only
Thunderbird s had the finned aluminum covers?

In any case it's something I would probably add anyway. Great looking colour combo also.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Lou

The 40 to 50 K is for a need nothing correct ready to go vehicle.

Lou

The 40 to 50 K is for a need nothing correct ready to go vehicle in a part of the country that values correctly restored 50s cars. A car like this is going to be bought by a collector not a person looking for Sunday driver. I'm not going to tell you what you should pay for the car as I don't know how long it's been sitting and what it my need such as tires, battery, carb rebuilt, hose belts , etc.
rmk57...You are correct about the steel valve covers from the factory, but the cast covers could be ordered as a option.

gsxrjtt

Thanks to everyone on pricing. I have finally made a deal and the car will be coming from  New Mexico to Rapid City SD in the near future to get read and back on the road. Will post updated pics and status on the task of getting it back up and running.

gsxrjtt

Does anyone have  exact width height and length specs ?

RICH MUISE

Good for you.That's a great looking car. Keep us posted.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Lou

As per the 1957 Ford service specifications booklet.

Overall length 207 inches

Width including bumper 78 inches

Height 58.25 inches

Ecode70D

I like that nice little Swift Sure standard shift brake pedal.  We don't see them very often.  Most of the time we see the long ones that come in automatic cars with power brakes.  You will be surprised at how often people think that the pedals look mismatched because they don't know any better. 
      Guenter surprised me with a NOS one in the original box for my 57.