News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

PCV Valve Upgrade Issues

Started by chapingo17, 2019-11-05 20:26

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

Lynn, Jim. is this supposed to go in the little round canister shaped breather neck that bolts onto the valley cover or is this supposed to be stuffed underneath in the square baffle tray/pan?

hiball3985

Yes. something was in there originally. One of mine didn't have it and the other one just had flakes and little chunks of what ever it was. Most likely what Lynn showed for the FE and probably the same material that was used in some breather caps on the oil fill tubes?
Edit: I misread you question, I think there was material in the square baffle part, not the canister.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

thank you Jim, it makes more sense. The canister seems too small to hold any mesh or you would have to squeeze it much too tight obviously. So I will be looking for mesh inserts for my restored vally cover,  great info, as usual ! thx guys !

hiball3985

My issue was I just couldn't decide what type of material to use and I had a fear of choosing the wrong one that might deteriorate and end up in the oil I didn't put any in mine. I will be doing my 3000 mile oil change next week and it's down just a little less the 1/2 quart so that where it may be going. When I swapped the intake and heads from my first engine to the new one there was no indication of oil in any of the ports or on the intake valves so I'm not sure if thats where the oil is going?

Not related but just had a thought about the other posts about music. That post brought back a ton of old memories. I was in the the sound business from 1966 to 1986..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Jim, over the years I have used stainless scrub pads.  They are woven pretty loose and when "stuffed" into the baffle stay in place very well and have not broken apart.  If they are too large I pull them apart a little and trim with a heavy shears.

Of note the place I used them first was in the engine (Boss 302) that I was racing.  Twice a year tear down showed no problems and unlike a fellow racer with "blow by" issues and leaking rear main my engine had none.

I feel really good making the recommendation for the stainless scrubbies......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

your recommendation sounds very experienced, Bill. Only thing I am thinking about loud is that any potential ss mesh debris would not get caught by magnetic oil drain screw or magnets placed in sump. But then I don't know how magnetic or not ss scrubb pads would be. I will try that later! It's incredible with how much info, ideas and experience you guys come up all the time ! awesome !

Jim let's entertain the music stuff later on in the morning coffee topic. Looking forward in hearing your stories.

hiball3985

Thank you Bill, I had considered SS but chickened out, so if I ever have to do it again I will consider that option. I don't know what the original material was but it didn't hold up over time very well or at least on the two I had.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-11-11 09:10
Jim let's entertain the music stuff later on in the morning coffee topic. Looking forward in hearing your stories.
Stories? I could write a book  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

I bought different brands and sizes of scrub pads and tested with magnets. GOOD NEWS !
all of them do stick to magnet, even though ss.   :001:
I think the flat 4" size will be great for the valley pan baffle.

Ford Blue blood

The medium size is very close to what I use.  The looser weave allows "scrunching" for a tight fit and still breaths well.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

That looks good. I'm not about to pull my covers off at this point so I may try pushing some down in from the opening for the cap and see what happens.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang