News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Granada spindles

Started by wv 57s forever, 2019-10-30 07:36

Previous topic - Next topic

wv 57s forever

When using Granada spindles should the spindle ride about an inch high on the lower ball joint ? :iamwithstupid:

RICH MUISE

I know Dave from Drop n Stop offered two different drop  choices.....1 1/2 or the more common asked for 2 1/2. Where the spindle rides on the ball joint determines that drop choice. Mine are the 2 1/2 drop and ride about that 1" above you mentioned, maybe a little less, but I never actually measured. You will need a rubber spacer on top of the ball joint boot to keep it in place if you choose that "higher on the ball joint shaft". I found some reinforced rubber hose at the auto supply place that gave me a free 4" sample. I can try to contact Dave and ask him for specific dimensions if you'd like. He has closed drop n stop due to health issues (really bad shoulder problems), but he's on the 52-59 social club on the Hamb.

I'm curious where you were able to find Granada spindles. Years ago iamflashman posted he had a source for repops.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wv 57s forever

I have had the spindles on the car for 25 yrs or more. was just wondering if the spindles could be tapered enough to let the go down further, I have had heater hose on it since it was done.  I was thinking that if the spindle was reamed more that it would drop the front more. If I understand what you are saying it would raise it ?

RICH MUISE

yes sir. That is correct. It would raise it. Think of it like this......with the weight of the car on the ground, not on a lift, you can't change the height of the spindle to the ground. That is set by 1/2 of the tire diameter. What you'd be actually doing by reaming the hole larger is allowing the suspension (along with the rest of the car) to be raised to have the ball joint meet the spindle's reamed hole.
To lower your car further, you need to do it at the springs, but a note of caution there.........because of the geometry involved, whatever you remove from the actual spring height will be approximately doubled at ride height. For example, if you remove an inch from the springs, the ride height will drop about 2"

terry_208

The light just went on for me. I couldn't understand how you were going to change the height of the spindle, but changing the spindle height in relation to the rest of the vehicle makes sense.
Terry

RICH MUISE

Better worded than what I said.
Actually the Lowriders change the spindle height all the time, lol. You've seen the cars with way undersized tires and wire wheels, then next time you may see the same car with the wagonwheel looking wheels. That's not our bag though.