News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Headers for 1958 Fairlane

Started by 1958ford, 2020-01-11 16:51

Previous topic - Next topic

1958ford

Summit Racing lists headers #85245 as fitting a 1958 Ford FE.  Anyone had any experience with these? 
1958 Ford Fairlane 500 390, 1968 Cougar, 1969 428 SCJ mustang

lalessi1

I haven't had specific experience with these but they look like they go under the front cross member. Are you using them on a race car? There are a few other choices... I have FPA "shorties" on mine now but FPA Tri-Ys for a 66-70 Fairline will fit. with trans crossmember mods. (I had a set of those too.)

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Fairlane1.htm

James Potter has Hooker 6114 on his 427 Custom.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6563.msg54400#msg54400
Lynn

59meteor

I have never actually seen a set of Hedman 85245 headers, everytime I ever went to Summit or Jegs to check on them, they are always at least a month away, or says "unavailable". When you look them up on Summits website, they just show a generic small block Chevy header. When I googled Hedman 85245, the only photo that I have seen shows a strange looking pair of headers, instead of true 4 tube headers, the first 2 pipes spliced together just after the second cylinder, so only 3 pipes meet at the collector. I have a very old set of Hedman headers that I got from a guy many years ago who used to race a 57 Ford with a 390 in the late 60s, that look the same way. Perhaps Hedman is just selling this old design? I have the FPA headers specifically made for 57-59 Ford cars with FE engines, in my 59 , and although they fit quite close to the passenger frame rail, they do fit. They route the exhaust pipes above the transmission crossmember, like the factory did, the Crites, FPA Tri Y (Mustang) headers, as well as Hooker 6114 (Mustang), and 6113 (Fairlane) FE header all dump the collectors directly into the trans crossmember, so either major crossmember modifications are required, or you need to buy the Crites crossmember. Also the Crites, and Hooker 6113s have tubes routed below the lower control arms, so they hang down very low. A buddy has recently ordered a set of the FPAs, to replace the Crites headers that he is replacing due to constantly crushing and repairing when they hit speed bumps or bottom out . And his car is not really all that low. For anything but an all out race car, I think the FPAs are a great choice. They are very well made, with nice thick flanges, and being shorter than most full length headers, are tucked up high enough that they are never going to hit the pavement or a speed bump.Also, FPA offers their FE headers with all 3 exhaust bolt patterns, 8,14 ("GT" style), and 16 bolt (428CJ" style) patterns, with the correct corresponding port height location. None of the mainstream header companies even seem aware that this can be an issue.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

1958ford

Thanks for the information on the header fitment.  Sounds like the FPA are the best choice.  Will give them a call shortly.
1958 Ford Fairlane 500 390, 1968 Cougar, 1969 428 SCJ mustang