News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Gen/Alt

Started by oldgasser, 2019-11-15 18:17

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgasser

I would like to change my exciting generator in my 57 Convertible 312 engine, to a Gen/ Alternator I have been led to believe that a Nipon, Alternator  from a 88 or 89 Honda will fit into the 57 original generator housing.
Can anyone shed any light on weather I'm on the right track?
Thank you in advance for your time.
Cheers Ron ( Oldgasser)

RICH MUISE

I don't have a clue, but if it works out for ya, please keep us informed. If I read your statement correctly, you are talking about putting the Honda alternator or alternator's workings inside the '57 generator housing so it still looks like an oem generator, correct?
As said, please keep us informed, and with pics if possible, as I'm sure others would be interested.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

John Palmer

Powermaster builds an alternator "that looks like" a vintage generator for many different applications including Ford Flatheads.

#82155-2 is a 12v "generator looking" alternator for a 57 Ford T-bird (Y Block I assume).

Check with Speedway/Summit/Jegs.  They are pretty proud of their product at $459.99

The small Mitsubushi alternators are very bullet proof.  We ran the same unit on our race VW for ten years and turned it over 8000 RPM without any problems. 

Jeff Norwell

I run the power master Alt. that looks like a gen. on both my early hotrods.... the price is very stout,.... I used small alt from a Firfly once. in a small gen case.. worked very well.
On my 57 projects I wanted powerGens...but the price has climbed way too high in the last 5-6 years.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ray

Because I use a 45 amp gen on the air cars I am having trouble with the replacement regulators. I am looking at Powermaster right now as an alternative.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

gasman826

I run a Power Master 3G style alternator.  It is internally regulated and can use the GEN light in the dash.  You only buy a Power Master once.  If it fails, return it for parts only repair...no labor.   Made in USA.

cokefirst

I have two of the power gen units on my cars.  One on my 31 Model AA and one on my Skyliner.  I LOVE them.  Yes, the price is steep, but in my opinion, they are worth it. 
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

jdwilker

Cokefirst, I too have a '57 Skyliner and have considered the Power Master alt. conversion. I'm curious if you noticed an improvement in the top operation after the conversion? All those electric motors draw a lot of current.

gasman826

When I had the y-block with OEM generator, the idle at traffic lights was so low and no generator output, the turn signals would stop flashing.  People would stop me to tell me that one of the brake lights was not working.  One of several problems that went away with an alternator upgrade.

Ford Blue blood

I'm going to say it will be the difference between day and night.  Retractables are advised to have the engine running when raising or lowering the top.  Those pump motors are little more then starter motors....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

cokefirst

Quote from: jdwilker on 2020-01-17 12:42
Cokefirst, I too have a '57 Skyliner and have considered the Power Master alt. conversion. I'm curious if you noticed an improvement in the top operation after the conversion? All those electric motors draw a lot of current.

Yes they do.  I also have power window. power seat and factory air.  The only complaint I have with them is that the input shaft lacks the woodruff key.  This may not be important on most cars, but the factory air cars use a double pulley on the generator.  You must use the fan/pulley assembly from the factory air generator on the power gen.  This requires a high torque on the retaining nut holding this on as there is nothing else to keep the the pulley from turning on the shaft.  I plan on having a power gen on all my vintage Ford vehicles. 
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed