News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Custom 2 door trunk question

Started by 40coupefan, 2020-05-26 10:44

Previous topic - Next topic

40coupefan

My trunk on my 2 door post is not fitting right. Latch is not catching and looks like tail piece needs to be move out at least an inch.... There are no 2 door customs in my area that I can look at. My question is how much overhang is there between trunk and tail piece. Thanks 😊

Ecode70D

I found out that Ford made 2 different trunk lids for 1957.   The Fairlane deck lid is longer from front to back compared to the custom.
Hope that this helps.   

rmk57

Mine has about 3/4" gap from the trunk lid to the lip where the molding sits in. I wouldn't think a Fairlane trunk lid would even come close to fitting a Custom.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Is the trunk lid original to the car? Does the lid line up with the rear fenders? I guess it's possible it was hit in the back, but with the sheet metal surrounding the gas filler, I would think it would be obvious. I've got to go out for a few hours, but when I get back, I can run a straight edge along that rear panel. BTW, if needed, EMS is now reproducing those panels. Pics would help.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

40coupefan

Thanks Rich but the car is at body shop. We are trying to figure out what is stock. But something is amiss with the tailpiece. I?m not very computer savvy so photos are a challenge

Ecode70D

40 coupe and Rich
   My custom has a nice deck that has not ever been repaired.  I will go to the shop with a cloth measuring tape and will measure from the deck lid from front middle to the back  edge of the deck lid.

40 coupe.   Then you will need the same measurement from a 57 Fairlane.. This will solve the whole puzzle. Don't alter anything on your car until you have those  two measurement.

40coupefan

Ecode70D

40coupe
    My car has the stock custom deck lid lock assembly on it so I couldn't take the measurement dead in the middle.   I measured from
the deck lid front edge to the lower edge of the deck lid along the side of the lock assembly..  So my measurement is about 2 inches off center.   The measurement is  41 inches.

Now you need a Fairlane deck lid measurement.  Don't forget that they are about 4 -5 inches longer than the custom.
Jay

RICH MUISE

Where rmk57 got 3/4", I got 1/2". I could just barely pass the end of my my fingers thru the gap. Also, with the trunk open, I ran a string across the opening to the fender "ends" where the trunk should be approx. flush. The crown of the tailpiece, above the license plate, is pretty close to 1/2" further back/out than the fenders. That should give a pretty good reference as to whether your car has been hit in the rear and that panel pushed back.
I don't know how much longer a Fairlane trunk lid is compared to a Custom. I do know the trunk area of a Fairlane is 4" longer, but that doesn't necessarily transpose to the trunk lid being that much longer. The panel between the rear window and the trunk opening could be different widths affecting the Fairlane vs Custom trunk opening/lid comparison.
My Custom's trunk lid, as Jay is going to measure for you, is 3' 5 1/8". Mine was measured at center (it's been decked, no lock assembly), so Jay and I are within 1/8" on trunk length.
Good advise from Jay on not doing anything until you know exactly what the problem is.
Be aware, although the vertical sheetmetal of the trunk lid looks straight across, it is not. There is a curve, or arc of at least an inch if I remember. I know because when I built my rolled pan, I matched whatever that arc is.
Where are you located?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

40coupefan

Thanks guys got the information. That gives me a reference point.

lalessi1

My trunk doesn't fit worth a damn. It is "too long" by about 1/2" in the corners. The gap at the center is about 3/8" between the lid and the tail piece. The tail pan has had a little body work on it but it and the lid are original. I have given some thought to jacking out the pan corners, they look like they would move a little with out much force. Looks like a little massaging has been done on the lower deck lid lip in the past to help...
Lynn

Ecode70D

40 coupefan
    I'm just wondering how you made out with your deck lid.  Have you been able to compare the coupe measurements with a
Fairlane?
Jay

40coupefan

No sir I havent. I am going to measure my trunk when I go to body shop. I think tailoiece got bend and hopefully a little tweaking will resolve the issue. Fingers crossed, Thanks for interest,