News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear axle seal leaking

Started by jdwilker, 2020-02-06 12:00

Previous topic - Next topic

jdwilker

One of the rear axle seals on my '57 Skyliner is leaking so I guess I'm pulling the axles and replacing the seals and bearings. As I look for parts I see the OEM style bearing and race, but also a sealed bearing replacement. Since the sealed bearing is sealed on both sides, does that mean you don't need a separate seal? Just the bearing and retaining collar? If I use the OEM style bearing and seal, I'm worried that the shaft might be worn enough that I'd also have to install a speedi sleeve as well to keep it from leaking again. Would using the sealed bearing eliminate that step?Any tips would be appreciated.

gasman826

The original ball bearing is sealed and needs no extra lubrication from the center of the housing and therefore uses a separate seal.  The newer tapered bearing is a wet bearing (requires lubricate from the housing center) and seals on the outward side of the bearing.  If the seal surface on the axle is questionable, don't install the new seal all the way in and it will seal on a new contact surface.  The OEM bearing and seal can be serviced as two separate parts.  Just because the seal is leaking does not mean the bearing has failed.  If the bearing isn't broke, don't fix it.

SkylinerRon

Be aware Skyliners used the big axle bearings.

Ron.

djfordmanjack

would that be the same as in the wagons ?

gasman826

Yes, wagons and Ranchero also use big bearing.  The difference is early or late style bearing.  Early bearing is a sealed ball bearing with a separate seal and the late bearing is a tapered bearing with integrated seal.

djfordmanjack

Thx for the info Gary. I have yet to find out which seal types/bearings are used in both of my wgn axles.

gasman826

That would be early, big bearing...sealed ball bearing with separate seal.  The Moser 9508 is my go-to bearing as the OEM sealed, ball bearing replacement.  This is a good quality bearing.  I have them in all my cars and have them on the shelf for the next job.  I also like the Moser bearing because it has an O-Ring to seal the bearing to the axle housing to seal out water and dirt which eliminates the need for the backing plate to axle housing gasket that was not 100% seal anyway.  The seal number is a National, 51098.  This seal will fit big and small bearing and I think it will also fit 8".

https://www.moserengineering.com/9508B%20-%20big-ford-and-olds-pontiac-ball-bearing-1-531-id.item