News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranch wagon side trim 59B

Started by Mike Cypher, 2020-03-13 14:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cypher

In the for sale section, there is a disassembled ranch wagon for sale, that has single stripe side trim, no gold insert, and one of the members said possibly this was because it was an early car.  It was stated that early cars had different ash trays and seat trim. 

I just purchased a 59b that also has a single side stripe.  I read on the forum that some cars that were repainted had the double stripe and gold insert removed.   A quick inspection of mine (still in winter storage) does not show any filled holes for the removed stripe.

If mine originally had the stripe I would like to reinstall it,  if not I can live with it as is. 

Any comments on the early car/single stripe theory and what are early car differences in ash trays and seat trim.

lalessi1

i know there are two ash trays, I have one of each. I thought the difference was whether they were in a Custom dash or a Fairlane dash. I put a Fairline ash tray in my Custom, It looks and works better.
Lynn

Mike Cypher

I think I read on the forum that early cars had left over 56 ashtrays!?  If this is true how are 56 ash trays different.

My data plate is painted Inca Goldish,  what group of numbers give production date?

The paint on my ranch wagon at first glance is Wimbleton white over Inca gold, but on closer inspection is metallic white (like a 2014 escape) and an almost butter yellow.  Hence I call it Inca goldish.

lalessi1

My car was built in early May '57, I doubt it had left over '56 parts and I have seen the Custom ash tray in others cars. Here is the ash tray it came with...
Lynn

lalessi1

Here is the "Fairlane" ashtray I put in it....
Lynn

Mike Cypher

Thanks for the pictures, I learned something.  Do they both fit in the same hole. Or did you have to modify something?

lalessi1

They interchanged exactly. Another difference between the Custom and the Fairlane that I noticed was the dome lights were different too...
Lynn

KULTULZ

There were three different EXTERIOR TRIM LEVELS on the 57 RANCH WAGON -

59A - CUSTOM RANCH WAGON
59B - CUSTOM 300 RANCH WAGON
59B - CUSTOM 300 RANCH WAGON 'DEL RIO'

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

RICH MUISE

Thanks for posting those spec sheets. I know they were posted before, but I for one had forgot exactly what the explaination was. Now I'm curious about the tailfin top trim that in not shown on the middle version. My guess it is not a trim "level" piece, but a two-tone piece.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Mike Cypher

Thank you, that was incredibly helpful!  There seemed to be too many pictures of Ranch Wagons with the single stripe to be a result of people removing it during refinishing. 

My two tone Custom 300 Ranch Wagon has the tail fin divider piece,  do not know if it was original.

KULTULZ

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe