What to do with the old voltage regulator during alternator swap?

Started by 59meteor, 2020-04-19 12:55

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

As my 59 build gets further along, I am ready to convert the original generator to an alternator. Trying to keep my Ford "All Ford" , I will be using a 130 amp Ford 3G alternator, and using factory alternator brackets on my 428 FE. I have both the high and low position brackets, I will mock up both to see what works and looks the best. The basic wiring changes seem fairly straight forward, but I am wondering if any of the old generator wiring and voltage regulator needs to be retained, or connected to anything, or can I just remove the regulator all together? I do want to retain the "gen" warning light function, as well as add a voltage gauge. Just wondering if any of the wiring going to the regulator is needed for any other functions. Thanks.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

gasman826

The 3G harness will connect to the OEM GEN light.  I had already removed the regulator and connected the wires for the light and feed for the dash.  I also connected a 2 ga. wire from the 3G output to the 12v side of the starter relay.  When you are digging through your collection of 428 brackets and pulleys, if you find a 2 groove alternator setup, you might want to consider it.  130 amps is a lot for one belt.

59meteor

Thanks, do you recall what the wire colors were for the wires that you connected that used to go to the regulator? As for the pullies, yes I already have both single and dual belt setups, just need to see how much room I have some the 2nd belt, once I install the radiator and fan.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

gasman826

At the regulator, the two large wires (Yellow/black from the generator and the Yellow to the headlight switch) are hooked together to supply the headlight power distribution.  I don't remember the other wires.  I'll look at it when I get the car out of storage.