News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

A/C in 57 Ranchero

Started by Dennis in MV, 2020-04-18 11:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis in MV

Hi I?m a new member here and am trying to help a friend with her newly acquired 57 Ranchero. She is a keep it original type of person ast least as much as possible. I have a vast amount of knowledge working on construction equipment and well a different model of Ford?s, the 28-31 Model A. So I have a lot of questions about her truck and am looking for advice, suggestions, and expert knowledge. She has noticed looking at others Ranchero they have A/C and has realized how hot it can get in the cab in 80 degree weather. I have read another thread posted here about vents and she is ok with just the under the dash console. Talking with her and describing the units it appears the unit she likes the most might be the Vintage Air unit. Keeping in mind her truck has a Y block yet and she wants to Jeep it that way. I can?t find a kit for a Ranchero, maybe not looking hard enough yet. I suggested to her the generator should be replaced with an alternator when installing A/C. Looking further I noticed alternators and bracket kits are no longer available. What I have noticed are kits available for F100. So I am assuming part of the reason is all the strain on that little 3/8? belt. So I?m asking for help here, perhaps a change of pulleys on the crank, water pump, alternator, to match a compressor will work.  I have not seen this truck in person, she is waiting on tires that have been ordered before driving it, I live close to an hour away on freeways. So excuse my ignorance. 

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the forum! Where is "MV?"
Unlike in the Chevy world almost nothing is ever made specifically for our Fords, except for brake kits, and some steering kits,  in the "updating" department. Vintage air does not make installation kits specifically for ours. Most of us have gone with the Gen IV kits, as I have. The Gen IV evaporator will fit under our dash, you will lose some, if not most, of the glovebox. It's alot of work to install one, especially in a completed, assembled car.
I believe I have seen a few members here that have used the under dash unit you mentioned, hopefully they will see this and chime in.
As far as the engine side is concerned, I'll let others who have the oem drive train fill you in on that, as I have a later model 4.6 dohc with the serpentine belt and stock Ford A/C compressor.
Two mistakes I made when installing mine: Because the car was disassembled and I wanted to keep the engine compartment clean as posible, I installed the bulkhead on the passenger side panel. Fortunately I have had no outside leaks there, but can't get to it without removing the fender when and if I do. Also the heater hose control valve is located just outside that bulkhead and those are known to have had issues with not shutting off, allowing the hot water to interfere with the A/C getting cold enough. I believe I have that problem, and is why my system does not get cold. Others have said it'll freeze you out in a short time.  I'd install the bulkhead where the oem heater currently is (BELOW) the weld flange. The big hole above the flange only goes into the cowl.My problem could also be affected by the second mistake I made: installing the condenser too far forward of the radiator. It should be less than 1/2". Mine is at 1 1/4 or so, allowing air to go around the condenser.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Vintage Air offers Y-Block bracket kit and crank pulley.

Ford Blue blood

Welcome to the best board in the world!  We do like pictures......even if it is not your car.

Several outfits offer "under dash" units.  They are universal in nature and do not require cutting up anything.  Look around for a unit that is "period" correct if she wants to stay "original".  Most cars back then did not have factory air so under dash units were installed.  As small as the Ranchero cab is you would probably be able to hang meat in there with just that kind of unit.

As Gary said Vintage Air has the Y-block stuff you would need for the compressor along with all the compressors and condensers in the world you would ever need to fix her up.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Dennis in MV

Rich Muise, MV is Mission Viejo, CA. Ford Blue blood, my lovely friend has submitted her application to membership here and I?m going to let her post photos of her new found dream car. Keep an eye for them soon.  Also am I correct in believing Ford, dealership offered accessories such as underdash A/C, power windows etc?  Thought I read that here somewhere on this website. If they did, does the Vintage Air unit closely resemble Ford accessory?

Ray

The in dash "selectaire" should fit as well. The problem is that the parts are getting hard to get and the dash and the right ftront fender have to come off to install it. Having had several over the years they cool very well.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Dennis in MV on 2020-04-19 13:19
Rich Muise, MV is Mission Viejo, CA. Ford Blue blood, my lovely friend has submitted her application to membership here and I?m going to let her post photos of her new found dream car. Keep an eye for them soon.  Also am I correct in believing Ford, dealership offered accessories such as underdash A/C, power windows etc?  Thought I read that here somewhere on this website. If they did, does the Vintage Air unit closely resemble Ford accessory?
Ha...I use to live not to far from Mission Viejo, and still never would have guessed it.
Is your friends name Robin? I sent her email this morning. I'll check for her response later.
There are guys here that do the restoration to factory specs on the forum, they will know how close they are and probably have pics. LOL, I've pretty much left nothing unaltered on mine, so I don't know.
Edit:Robin has been approved...good to go. OK guys, time to clean up your act!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Ford did offer factory AC, power windows, brakes, steering and seats.  I once bought a complete 500 2Dr Ht air car minus engine and transmission and sold the air to a fellow in Australia for more then the car cost.  Parts for the system are hard to come by.  Pulley, compressor mount (holds the generator and compressor), under dash unit (the housing), the door tag, (made from unobtainium) and many of the components for the dash outlets.

Easiest is a "dealer installed option" using modern components.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Dennis in MV

Hey good info from the reply?s thanks a bunch guys!. I spent a good part of the evening at VintageAir website studying their systems and components yesterday. I?ve done A/C work in the past including updating old R12 systems to R134a. I?m still waiting to get my eyes on this car, she lives Less than an hour away and the car was in need of new tires which she just got installed.

SkylinerRon

Ford had two A/C install kits for 57.  The Polarair was the hang on box style. The Selectair was the same as if it came from the factory which was a major job to install.

Ron.

suede57ford

Concours Parts in NV sells a hang-on unit that sorta resembles the Ford Polar Air hang on unit.

I have several types of AC in my '57Fords  from Select Air, Polar Air, Vintage Air GEN IV, and the Concours Parts Hang-On Air Conditioning Kit.  Using any original unit, especially, Select Air, takes a lot of effort to install and get it to actually work.

The simplest, easiest to install, and maintain is the Concours Kit.   Average Mechanic can install it in about 1 day and it looks vintage and works very good.  This the route I would go unless it is a numbers match type show car or custom built car where i would use the Vintage Air Gen IV.

The best choice for her sounds like the following. 

Air Conditioning Kit  Part # A9-57-F  $1,095 Available from Concours Parts (800) 722-0009.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Dennis in MV

I just looked at their website and the price they show is $1095.00. Unless there is a coupon...  Do they include instructions?  It looks like they use a generic photo for the kit. What about a bracket for the compressor, a 2 groove add-on pulley?  The under dash with controls in the evap unit are sufficient. The existing controls on the dash need to remain original. Btw, this car has an aftermarket radio. It has a couple extra buttons above the display, and it does not work, she?d be happy with an original radio believe it or not. Unless somebody makes one original but has FM without extra buttons.  I?m just not sure what is available for this car. I didn?t get a chance to diagnose anything in the car that does not function. Lights brakes and what needed to be safe to drive are all working properly. I got a chance to give the car a quick look, and sent her on her way.

Ford Blue Blood, I read your entire 23 pages stopping throughout the day to read a few here and there. I have to commend you for your progress and amount of time spent with all you have gone through. A lot of people would have given up long ago, especially those who haven?t the experience of a career in a field that requires hands on work with tools and equipment. I?m going to turn 66 in a couple months, and after I get finished with my complete 29 Tudor restoration I doubt I?ll do another as a 2 car garage with a sloping driveway limits me too much in the way of space for a bigger car. It?s such a pain to constantly move shop equipment etc around to do anything.

suede57ford

The kit it very complete.  Yes, instructions are included.   The bracket goes above he generator/alternator and uses the same belt as the alt/water pump/crank.  About the price, I just looked in a catalog on my desk. It seems like a good value to me.   They do run sales occasionally if you are on their email list. I installed mine on one Saturday not including charging.  I think that's the is about the same time my dad does them for customers '57's.

If I was to improve the kit I might add the add on pulley, and shift the compressor ahead to use it's own belt/belts as would give you more belt wrap as the only fault of the kit is the lack of belt wrap using the same belt for alt/compressor.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Ford Blue blood

Thanks Dennis, been playing with cars my entire life.  Got this "illness" from my Dad.  I do not remember ever not having cars around me, starting with the AMT kits and an Erector set.  Never having money most all I do is self taught, learned early on that you can put a butt load of material on the shop floor for the price of one hours labor.  I don't hunt, fish or chase little white balls around the pasture so I have a little extra $ to play with.

I did find a guy in NC that takes a stock radio, restores the face, guts it out and puts in new stuff.  AM/FM/MP3, 50W per four channel output.  Had it done to the Edsel radio.  Sounds and works great, $400, thought that was good, kept the stock look and gave modern sound.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

hindsight57

Quote from: Dennis in MV on 2020-04-23 11:03
I just looked at their website and the price they show is $1095.00. Unless there is a coupon...  "

I am on Concours Parts mailing list and just got a notice for a Spring sale for 10% off if you decide to go that route. The promo code is: SPG20.
I find their parts guys very knowledgeable and helpful.

Manny