News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Auto City radiators with FE. What hoses?

Started by 59meteor, 2020-04-24 10:36

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

I am installing my new aluminum radiator from Auto City Classic, in my 59, which has a 428 FE. Both my original 332 rad, and the new one, have 2" lower hose nipples, so I assume a new stock replacement hose should work. However, the upper hose nipple on the new rad is 1 1/2" diameter, and every FE thermostat housing I have is 1 3/4". I have a new upper hose from a mid 70s FE PU truck, but it is 1 3/4" at each end. Is anybody aware of a factory FE application that has 1 3/4" at the engine side, but 1 1/2" at the rad? Or a part number of some other application that can been made to work? I do not want to use a universal ribbed flex hose, or some aftermarket chrome tubing, just  black molded rubber hoses. Lacking that, does anybody know a website that shows a list of various hoses with shapes, lengths and diameters, hopefully with photos. Just hoping somebody that has gone thru this has some thoughts. Thanks.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

rmk57

Rory, if no one can supply an application or part# Dayco has a hose dimensional chart you can fill out to help you along.

http://www.daycoproducts.com/online-catalog-1?part_type=10
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

FiveSevenLiter

Dayco had a book with pictures, dimensions and inlet/outlet sizing.  A veteran Lordco parts man might still have one in their library. 
If you are stuck let me know and I will go see if I can find mine.
Also found the push rods from my engine, you want them?
Terry
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

59meteor

Hi Terry, if they are the ball & cup pushrods, yes I would like them please. By the way, I moved to Abbotsford about a month ago, so we are almost neighbours now!
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

FiveSevenLiter

Let me know when you want them.
Terry
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

59meteor

I sent you a PM, Terry. Thanks.
As for my Auto City Classic rad, the mounting holes were a bit narrower than my rad support, and once I slotted the holes, it seems the mounting holes are also too high, the radiator cap will hit the hood. Not a huge problem, as there  is over 1 1/2" between the bottom of the radiator, and the rad support. Still, have to wonder hard would it have been to put the holes in the correct locations? Not a huge amount of space between the fan and rad, either, anybody else with a FE in the same boat?

RICH MUISE

I don't remember the mounting holes being too high, but that doesn't mean they were not. I got mine over 5 years ago. The radiator can be easily moved forward about an inch, but it also has to be moved almost all the way down to the core support if you do that. The downside to moving it forward, is the radiator cannot be removed without removing the hood.
To move it forward, the top of the core support has to be slotted to allow the side flanges of the radiator to slip down in front of the core support instead of behind it. You need to make 2 spacers........I used 3/4" aluminum tubbing long enough to get both the mounting holes on each side. Makes it alot easier than trying to deal with individual spacers. I double face taped the tubing in place. I got pics somewhere if needed, but all they'll show is the location of the slots.
I also removed the flange on the core support underneath the radiator. For reference, the bottom of my radiator just touches the main center core support bolt's head. I have about 1/4" clearance from the std. radiator cap to the underside of the hood.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I have a Griffith radiator and I moved it forward 2" (as far as it would go without hitting the core support). I moved the mounting flanges 2" to the rear of the radiator and did a minor amount of grinding for clearance at the top of the core support. I didn't need to remove the hood. The core support is designed to allow radiator mounting with the mounting flanges flush with the front of the radiator (V8) or flush with the rear of the radiator (I6). There is room for a 2" gain in spacing.

I don't have a problem with the upper hose....
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I believe both the 6 and 8 cyl radiators were mounted on the engine side of the core support. It's the flange locations on the different radiators that position it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

As far as I can remember all FE's through the late 70's are 1.75 outlet. I'm guessing the radiators are only for Y blocks cars which are 1.5. Auto City may not have one for an FE car.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

59meteor

Well, after some researching, I found that a 69 Mustang 390 used an upper radiator hose with the correct sizes, 1 1/2" for the rad, 1 3/4" for the T stat housing. will need to be shortened, but hopefully it works out. And I was able to get a new lower hose for a 59 Ford with a FE engine, from my local parts store, although it does seem a fair bit longer, but easy enough to trim.

hiball3985

Thats good information, I hope to remember it for the future. Thanks
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang