News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Any welders out there

Started by johns2000, 2008-09-05 16:39

Previous topic - Next topic

johns2000

I weld a little but need input on what's the best way to weld up the holes in my body panels where the clips used to be that held the cars trim. I've got a nice mig welder and can do fairly nice welds but just haven't done much on the thin stuff!! Would it be best to have what panels I can get off the car to do so and lay them flat? Maybe use brazing rods and torch instead of mig? Maybe leave the polarity reversed but still use gas, I've head it works good on thin stuff? I think the holes are to small for plugs, 5/16 x 5/16 on most of them.

Thanks in advance

geraldchainsaw

i myself when i weld with a mig welder i tack the hole with a back up plate, 1 tack on each hole go back and start over until the hole is covered, that way u don';t warp the panel,   thats the way i do it anyway!

JPotter57

I use a piece of copper.  I got it from a guy I work with, and it is about 4" X 6", bent like an 'L', and about 1/4 inch thick.  Just lay it flat behind the hole, weld over top of it.  The steel MIG wire wont stick to the copper, and then all thats left is to grind it flush, and go on with life.   
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

wolfpupsdad

only thing i'd add to it , you can use core flux wire but it spatters more , and make a heat damn out of wet rags

uncleaud

I use the copper back up when ever I can on thin stuff. A easy way is take a piece of copper pipe and beat it flat with a hammer. It can be shaped to any curve if need be and be any length you need to make it work. Cheap and easy, thats me.

Glen Henderson

The copper backup is the way to go. Too make it easier, you can take a piece of metal straping and a couple of magnets to hold the copper in place. The magnets from an old hard drive work great. Just run the straping over the copper and place a magnet on each end. Use the smallest wire and the lowest heat setting that give good flow. If you don't fill comfortable starting out on your good sheet metal, take a piece of scrap, drill some holes, and practice until you get the hang of it.