News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

O/T? Getting back into it... with a '58 Edsel

Started by greaseball, 2020-08-25 18:26

Previous topic - Next topic

greaseball

Hey everyone!
   I haven't posted that much here before, but hopefully that will change.
This forum sure seems cool!
Anyways, In November 2018 I lost my 1957 Ford Fairlane 500, family heirloom (First automatic car Grandpa ever drove, Auntie's first car, Mom's first car, Uncle Lou's first car, MY first car,), to the CAMP fire in Paradise CA.

The only part of my '57 that wasn't completely destroyed was my customized front-end, and there's still a little heat bubbling on the drivers side (Desoto) bumper.

After it happened, I felt like I was "done" with old cars-
(had my '57 been running I would have taken it when I fled from the fire, I was very upset it wasn't running)-
But old transportation is COOL, soooo?
Maybe old motorcycles, that you can haul in your truck when they don't run, would be a better choice.

I tried to convince myself of this logic.

But-
There's too many wonderful things about old cars for me to want to give them up.

Strangers wave at you.
Everyone asks you questions at the gas station.
Cops seem cooler when they stop you.
People who have YOUR type of vehicle tend to hook you up with parts
(instead of screwing you over,)
And my g/f said: "You can't tell how old a motorcycle is when it passes you, it's just a bike. But everyone sees an old car,".

Yep.
I can't give up on old cars.
I just can't.

So, I thought about searching out another Fairlane 500.
(Gotta be a hardtop, no post for me!)
A guy I know knew where one has been sitting for YEARS.

But, it wouldn't be HARRY'S (Grandpa's best-friend who died before I was born-)
Or Edith's (Harry's wife, who always reminded me of Mrs. Santa Claus,)
Or Auntie's
Or Mom's
Or Uncle Lou's.

So... as beautiful as they are, another '57 would feel like a lie (to me).

Enter: the '58 Edsel (Ranger or Pacer,)

Now I've ALWAYS wanted to do a custom Edsel.
If you ignore the proportions on the doghouse they are pretty neat cars.
And my custom '57 front-end fits, so this feels like a WIN.

So-
The goal for me NOW is to make the interior of my 58 Edsel look like my Fairlanes, so when I'm inside I feel like I'm in the '57!

RICH MUISE

Neat story, except for the loss part of it. We have a few Edsel owners on here. I'd sure like to see pics of your salvageable '57 front end.  lol, I've seen many '57 Fords with an Edsel front end, not sure I've ever seen an Edsel with a Ford front end. It's gonna be different, and will have a whole lot of "what is it?" going on in the sidelines. Thanks for sharing, and keep us posted and post some pics please.
I've gotta ask....did you return to Paradise?
As far as Off Topic...........you're resurrecting part of a family heirloom '57 Ford and using it's cousin to do it.....good enough for me!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

greaseball

I meant to post pics in the intro
(the Mrs just showed me how, I think? lol)

Thanks for the reply man,
I have returned to Paradise, sadly, many have not.
Not only that, but this COVID scare has everyone backed-up and WAITING months before anything happens
(I lucked out and got in ASAP, and it still seemed like forever,).

RICH MUISE

Wow, sad pictures, but bring up tons of questions. First, got any '57 pics of before the fire? We've seen some with the dual headlight conversions (one of our members just got done converting his back to single oem style), but what caught my eye was how the convex/concave area was totally eliminated on the front fenders. That had to be a ton of work. Also, I'm wondering about what the dash was. It looks like it was a really cool custom.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

Did it have Edsel wagon tail lights installed also?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

greaseball

I have a ton of pics but they are all too big.

-Yes, it had '58 Edsel wagon taillights (with custom back-up delete plates). '55/6 Pontiac 3 piece bumper (w/o the middle piece) an early '60's Taxicab 3rd brake light, and a re-designed trunk lid (and legit yellow and black plates I traded for a case of beer,).

-Nice job noticing the front fenders. The lip that you are seeing is actually from a ranger/pacer edsel, and the dual headlights are from a Mopar (late '57 & '58; Chrysler ot Desoto).

-The dash was also from a '58 Edsel (I just love the speedometer on them and they bolt right in!). I had the center speaker grill hinged and was going to have my radio underneath it, while still leaving the face of the original radio in it's normal place.

SkylinerRon

Looks like some of the sheet metal is savable. If not warped I'd have it dipped. You might be able to use more than you think at first.

Goodluck,

Ron.

djfordmanjack

Now that must be a horrible experience, too bad !

With all the Edsel parts on it, you'll actually be much quicker this time using a real Edsel. That Custom Frontend looked real nice. Desoto bumper is a natural add on to a 57/8 Ford imho. also the Mopar headlights worked really well. when were these modifications done? Look to have been all steel and really nice workmanship!

Good luck with your new project !

greaseball

dJfordmanjack-
Yes, thank you for the sympathy.

I totally dig your '59 grill in your '57. I had always wondered how that grill would fit!
The mods on the '57 were done about a decade or so ago-
Thank you for the nice words, it was my dream car.

Jeff Norwell

That is absolutely Heartbreaking...... Please try to load up some pics before the fire.
Indeed a dream car.... but good luck with the new project!!!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

greaseball

I started a thread on the HAMB, seems I can post pics there
(lame, I know, but I'm not a computer guy,)

jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/how-do-you-choose-an-engine-for-a-custom.1204747/page-2