News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Part of frame missing

Started by terry_208, 2020-11-08 23:52

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

I believe the pad that the radiator core support sits on is missing on my frame.  Is the pad roughly the same size as the core support spring?  Is it welded on parallel, left - right and front to back, although on a different plane, as the crossmember it's welded to?
Terry

KYBlueOval

Terry........I took  a couple of photos that hopefully will answer you question. If you need more information, or photos let me know.
BTW ....The Front to Back measurement on the core support mounting "plate" is 3 1/4", the left to right measurement is 5" as you can see in the photo.
If you have to get this core support mounting piece, you might try Roger in Kansas. He is listed in the Salvage Yard list and says he has 40 -50 '57's
John

alvin stadel

Terry, I wish you would have said something sooner, as I had a couple of good ones that went with all the rest of my parts. I would have given you one. Take care, Alvin

terry_208

Alvin, I didn't realize I was missing the pad until just recently when I got parts from John, KYBlueOval, and it wasn't included.  When I looked, I could see that the spot welds on the left side had broken from the metal it sets on.  I hope to find it in the box of parts that I had powder coated.

John, the little pad sits roughly parallel, l to r and f to only slightly lower, to the top of the crossmember just aft of it, correct?  I wanted the measurements in case I can't find the original one.

Thanks for the replies.  I really do appreciate the help everyone gives so freely here. I am trying to complete as much as I possibly can before rotator cuff surgery a week from today.   
Terry

djfordmanjack

Terry, be aware of the fact, that when a 57 gets in to an offset collision and the frontend is off center, this plate often seems to get filed ( the elongated hole) or maybe even cut/drilled off. I have seen this twice. the damaged frame on my Del Rio has had the opening for the radiator core mount bolt widened twice as original. you may want to check straightness of your frame. Also be sure to look for the leave spring and rubber pad that carries the core. G.

djfordmanjack

some pics from when I was restoring mine. hope this helps.

terry_208

Thanks G for the heads up.  I had the body off and all appeared good, no kinks bends or twists.  I missed that the seating plate was gone.  I didn't realize that it was welded in.  Although I thought it odd that the core support was just sitting there. After the fact, examination showed two small holes on the left side of frame end where the plate had been spot welded.   
Terry