News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tilt Front End

Started by Ottoparts, 2020-12-30 11:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottoparts

I did a search and sent PMs to a few members. However the members that one is directed to in the threads I find have not been active for a few years.
Therefore I am bringing the topic up again. Does anyone have pictures or know-how on how to create a tilt front end pivot mechanism?

thomasso

Once upon a time kits were made for 53 thru 56 Ford pickups.  Don't remember who made them or if still available.  It was common to modify them for other vehicles.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

abe_lugo

Look up 1957 Chevy tilt front kit. 
It still seems to be a product for those projects.
My buddy is building a gasser '55 Chevy. 
He basically mounted the radiator on new brackets to the frame. 
Usually the lower outer skins of the fenders move around so you can pull them over the body them pin them in the down position when closed.

Then some large hinges for the firberglas front clip. 
I think there is more bulky sheet metal involved for a Ford. 

I would image at some point someone was making whole Fiberglas front clips for 57 Fords

Actually found this post.  On Fiberglas parts.
http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=1409.0
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

RICH MUISE

The only forum member I remember having a tilt front end was LAUdy (SP?), and he hasn't been on for a few years that I know of. I remember a recent discussion, I think on the Hamb. I'll try and find it. It had a clever arrangement that allowed the front to tilt without having to cut & seam the fender. If that discussion was in the 52-59 Ford social group, you may not be able to access it without joining. I'll let you know.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

Yes Rich, it usually involves a tube inside of a tube, welded to a hinge that allows you to pull the nose forward and then tilt it. That way, there is no need to cut the fenders.
I have seen it done with both round and square stock welded to the chassis, usually with a slot and a pin to stop it from "pulling out" of the tubing.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Ottoparts

LAUdy was one of the members that i sent a PM too and you are correct as he has not been active for a few years. I do belong to the HAMB and I too will go look up that social group.

abe_lugo

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

RICH MUISE

That's the one I was going to look for 'til I forgot. I had only seen the pics of the tube-in-a-tube slide though. Looking thru the entire thread, I now realize why the fenders are bobbed when they do the tilt...........I always assumed it was only for tilting clearance, and never considered it improves engine accessibility when open.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

I believe Joe posted actual pics of a tilt frontend a month or 2 ago in the old Ford pics thread.