57 convertible top weatherstripping, window channel, body gaskets, rubber parts?

Started by brushwolf, 2020-12-11 04:05

Previous topic - Next topic

brushwolf

Still doing body and mechanical work, but looking ahead to refurbishing all the weatherstripping and other rubber or fabric parts. This project has been stalled so long I am not sure whether all the outfits from 20 years ago are still around. I have new windshield gasket and nailing strips for top, the round cowl drain gaskets, taillight casting gaskets and maybe a few more small gaskets.

Mac's was sold to new owners and I would guess Dennis Carpenter is still around, but any other sources?  The heavy fabric covered rubber strips that attach to top side rails are probably the most costly pieces I still need. Will need a new top well and pretty much every other fabric or rubber part on the car.

Probably forgot where everything goes and what parts had gaskets between them, but I have shop manual plus retractable and hardtop parts cars out behind the pole building to refresh my memory.

Glass is no problem cuz Isanti Classic Glass is 20 miles away. Top hydraulics used to work and been inside for 25 years, but have not tested them lately...

So, any current recommendations on weatherstrip window channel, body gaskets and perhaps any top installation tips from convertible owners?
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

Ford Blue blood

No help with top installation....Don't chintz out with the soft goods.  Carpenter soft goods are the best out there.  They sell to many vendors, example, I purchased door gaskets for my Ranchero from Concourse, they were packaged in Carpenter wrappings.  They were door gaskets for a four door sedan, not a two door.  Called them, no problem.  Day later got a call from Carpenter, "do you have the packaging?", yes, "we will send you a new set with a return shipping label".  Done and taken care of with no hassle.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Brushwolf.................make sure you've seen our listing of 57 Ford specific parts vendors!!!
With that said, you mentioned window channels, and the best source for those is what used to be called Ford Obsolete, but now is Classic Auto Parts, in Oklahoma CIty. Classic is owned by a guy named Dale who also owns Dale Manufacturing, which is the maker of all those channels, anti rattler strips, etc. Quite often the items @ Classic will be shrink wrapped on a yellow Dale Manufacturing cardboard.
The company Dennis Carpenter is still around, but Dennis died earlier this year. Hopefully, his son will maintain the quality levels his dad established, or sell the company to somebody other than Eckler's.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I read in one of the car books that Dennis had stepped aside in the day to day running of things and his one son had stepped to the plate to keep things on track.  Hope that is true because I have nothing but praise for their customer service and their soft goods.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Steele Rubber will give you a model specific catalog. They have a lot of small parts. Also look at Restoration Specialities.

https://www.restorationspecialties.com
Lynn