News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering Gearbox

Started by Ottoparts, 2020-12-08 18:19

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

I don`t know if many of you guys have experienced the energy a car air bag going off produces. As a (retired now) new car dealership mechanic, we had occasions where a air bag was replaced, so we had to deploy the unit before disposing of it. We had a special wiring harness that connected the air bag to a battery, and had a switch that was about 30 feet away from the actual air bag. Even still, knowing the explosion was going to happen, and being quite a distance away , the sound and concussion from the explosion was  intense. I can`t imagine having that thing go off inside an enclosed car, inches from your face! And then you see these, usually young girls or women, that sit in the passenger seat with their legs on top of the dash, directly above the air bag "bomb". Could get ugly in a hurry if an accident occured. Probably not a good idea to be smoking a pipe while driving either......
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

terry_208

Someone putting their feet on the dash and a sudden stop could force them onto the floor under the dash with their knees about their ears and could break bones even w/o the airbag deploying!
Terry

hiball3985

Do you ever notice how many new cars burn when in an accident? I wonder if sometimes this is caused by this new Freon they are using that is highly flammable. And cost 10X more then R134.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

The first accident I was ever at where and airbag had deployed was a woman who worked at the local Safeway...and she was in front of the store when her accident took place. She was okay from the accident...but the bag gave her a week plus of memories in the way of two black eyes, a black and blue nose and both cheeks same color as her eyes. And for a few of days her entire face was swollen to as much as twice it's size in the beginning...slowly shrinking over the days following.
I too see people sitting in cars as they fly by me with legs up on the dash, or worse one on the dash and one hanging out the window...and have often thought that they would be dead if they ever got into an accident...not from the accident but from the deployment of the air bag which would rip those legs out of their hips or split them in half when one leg is hanging out the window.
Personally..not a fan of the things. I understand the theory of them, but the damage they can do to a person can in some cases be worse than the accident it's self. JMHO.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Whats worst is the damn ones that go off when you aren't in an accident, shrapnel included, millions still on recall..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

silverbird#58

[quote author=   not all drivers were impailed  ,   the big heavy smoker bought it bit the light secretary ,,  froze to the wheel , and after it broke her right arm ,  the left pushed her body to the pass side
                          of the car.  .