News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Ford 101

Started by Ken 57Wagon, 2021-01-19 12:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken 57Wagon

Because I got my project half way through I did not have the experience of taking much of it apart.  I can find a lot of info her and in other magazines but there are a couple issues I can?t seem to resolve.  The accelerator pedal match-up to the linkage is one.  I have a new pedal from Concourse. The linkage I have has a hole with a floppy rod through it with a semi-circle piece of hard rubber.  Should there be a roller or something?  Secondly, I see where they sell replacement handles for shifters and blinkers, but I?m not sure how the originals come off.  My thinking is they are glued on and have to be broken off. 

Ken

hiball3985

The subject about the replacement peddles being wrong has been talked about before. I have two of those also. Someone had a post about how to modify something to make them work. I didn't do that.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Thanks, Ken!
Now I remember about there being two different designs for the pedals, I think '57 vs '58, and apparently, the one that is repopped is the wrong one for us.
I also seem to be remembering it was Jay (Ecode57) who posted pics of both styles. I can't help with the mod to make it work because I had to install a cable operated throttle linkage. I'll check to see if it came up in my build thread.

Ken........I think your asking about replacement knobs, not full (handles)/levers...correct?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ken 57Wagon

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2021-01-19 14:26
Thanks, Ken!
Now I remember about there being two different designs for the pedals, I think '57 vs '58, and apparently, the one that is repopped is the wrong one for us.
I also seem to be remembering it was Jay (Ecode57) who posted pics of both styles. I can't help with the mod to make it work because I had to install a cable operated throttle linkage. I'll check to see if it came up in my build thread.

Ken........I think your asking about replacement knobs, not full (handles)/levers...correct?

Ken 57Wagon

Found the thread, answers the most important question, it needs to be modified.  I saw the pics and now can move forward.  Thanks for the direction. 
Ken

brushwolf

I think I took a  chipped up shift knob off long ago and the metal shift rod had knurled marks longtitudinally stamped in it that held the plastic in place via an interference fit.

So, if the old one is degraded enough it should break apart with a pliers. If still solid just cut it with a cutoff wheel along its length on 2 sides, being careful not to go deep enough to hit the metal rod, then twist off the pieces. Idk if any glue is needed, seems to me it is a substantial interference fit. Warming the plastic a bit may make the replacement go on easier.

The recent thread on trim removal help had among the responses a link to a series of Google photos. Among those were multiple illustrations of different throttle linkage. Those varied by which engine, which transmission, which carb, etc.

I am going non-stock motor and a stick transmission, so I will just use a later Galaxie or aftermarket cable throttle if the stock linkage does not pan out. But, maybe one of those illustrations matches what you are trying to reconstruct.

51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

lalessi1

This is a what the linkage should look like. There are an early version and a later one. I have the later version (57-58) and it works fine with the repopped pedal. I am not using the 9727 pin.
Lynn

Ken 57Wagon

Thanks again for the help. I settled on using a bearing and allowing it to run on the backside of the pedal. We?ll see if it works.  If I need to I?ll affix a slide plate on the back of the pedal.

hiball3985

Quote from: Ken 57Wagon on 2021-01-20 21:02
Thanks again for the help. I settled on using a bearing and allowing it to run on the backside of the pedal. We?ll see if it works.  If I need to I?ll affix a slide plate on the back of the pedal.
That should work. I did my 60 F100 the same way.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang