Holley Sniper or FiTec aftermarket fuel injection? Crown Vic Aluminum front end?

Started by brushwolf, 2021-03-20 16:56

Previous topic - Next topic

brushwolf

Have been spending too much time on YouTube, waiting for warmer weather.... Think it is here, so back to the outdoors and unheated buildings.  But first...

Normally I do not really care for any computers in cars, but the tuning ease of these aftermarket FI systems and their troubleshooting potential has me considering them.  No fuel rails, so does not hurt the old school look too much..

Had started out looking at LS swaps (not for my 57) to see what all the rapture was about and how easy/difficult they were. I can now see why they are so popular, but not for me right now.  A whole lot of power and reliability for cheap though.

Ford should have stuck with pushrod motors. My 97 Suburban with 185k miles and heavy towing use takes far less oil than my son's 2018 F150 with 75k miles on the Coyote motor. His previous 2004? 5.4 developed the nasty timing chain noises that seem to plague those motors. Too complicated and long timing chain setup IMHO. My 2007 4.6 Sport Trac is still fairly quiet though. So far, so good on that.

Then looked at the 2003 and up Crown Victoria aluminum front suspension swap.  Pretty cool for a pickup or early car with straight frame rails and wide enough track. Seen a couple ways to narrow them and use narrower TBird or MII rack to reverse the bump steer that narrowing it induces.  Intriguing prospect for something eventually..

Can you tell I have been bored lately?

Anyway, I finally stumbled into some aftermarket FI conversions of non-LS engines.

A new carb is roughly $300, aftermarket FI about $1000-$1400 all in, so probably a grand cost difference at the most.

Anyone got them?

Like them/hate them?

What motor and trans are you using?

Would you do it again, if you still had an old school carburetor on it?

Pointers on installation if you have done it?
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

SkylinerRon

Throttle body f/i's aren't a thousand bucks better than a carb.

Port injection ala 5.0 Mustang would be worth it but, it is a lot more money.

Depending on what motor your using a factory f/I + some aftermarket goodies should be good and replacement parts are available
everywhere.

If an aluminum CV is too wide I'd go with a Mustang II set-up.

The new Ford truck pushrod V-8 looks good for the future.

Good luck,

Ron.

lalessi1

I have been considering EFI for a while for my FE, There is a good thread on a Holley Sniper installation on the forum albeit a 2bbl model.I think the biggest issue is the mods required to put a pump INSIDE the tank which seems to be the most reliable way to avoid pump failure. One of the biggest advantages is EFI can give you the capability to map the ignition timing which can help avoid detonation and improve fuel economy as well. Down side is the price. I also have seen dyno tests that show a potential LOSS of hp at WOT over a well set up carburetor, not a serious issue if drivability is your goal.

http://www.57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7738.0
Lynn

dgasman

I have installed the Fitech EFI on my Ranchero, the original 352 and cruisomatic and love the way it runs . Our fuel in Cali is so bad it eats up the carb and vaporizes fast on a hot engine that it made restarts a pain now just hit the key and it starts instantly. DO NOT use their fuel module thing ITS a P.O.S.... installing pumps inside the tank is so much easier now with multiple companies making pump kits , drill a hole cut to length, install done. The FI has made my Ranchero fun to drive again and not that I did if for mileage but I did pick up around 3mpg on the highway.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

brushwolf

Quote from: dgasman on 2021-03-21 12:53
I have installed the Fitech EFI on my Ranchero, the original 352 and cruisomatic and love the way it runs . Our fuel in Cali is so bad it eats up the carb and vaporizes fast on a hot engine that it made restarts a pain now just hit the key and it starts instantly. DO NOT use their fuel module thing ITS a P.O.S.... installing pumps inside the tank is so much easier now with multiple companies making pump kits , drill a hole cut to length, install done. The FI has made my Ranchero fun to drive again and not that I did if for mileage but I did pick up around 3mpg on the highway.

Are you using the Fitech to control timing as well, and if so what kind of distributor are you using?
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

brushwolf

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2021-03-21 09:07
I have been considering EFI for a while for my FE, There is a good thread on a Holley Sniper installation on the forum albeit a 2bbl model.I think the biggest issue is the mods required to put a pump INSIDE the tank which seems to be the most reliable way to avoid pump failure. One of the biggest advantages is EFI can give you the capability to map the ignition timing which can help avoid detonation and improve fuel economy as well. Down side is the price. I also have seen dyno tests that show a potential LOSS of hp at WOT over a well set up carburetor, not a serious issue if drivability is your goal
http://www.57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7738.0

Saw a Hagerty YouTube video and they had a strong hi-po 289 run on the dynamic with both a carb and FI. Power was similar, FI edged the carb, but they added a carb spacer for FI runs due to open plenum vs dual plane, so that fudged the test a tad probably. But, most buyer reviews do say a few mpg increase and instant start.

Parts I like best are just turn the key - no fiddling with choke and ability of the thing to adapt for air temperature and timing at any rpm becomes optimal. Part I like least (aside from extra cost), is if it fails it is harder to diagnose.  But the little portable setup module screen has diagnostics function similar to a scanner.

My machinist says the cylinder wash from excess gas on carb engines washes the cylinder walls down fostering premature wear and that it is not uncommon for EFI 200k mile engines to still have cylinders that look like new.  Like the abused 200k mile FI 5.0 I brought in still looking great inside.... as opposed to the Y block, Cleveland, FE, 460, 348 and old hemi engines I had brought him before that were visibly much more worn.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

Ford Blue blood

Ford factory EFI will work on just about any engine out there (except the FE).  The small block series has the choice of Speed Density or Mass Air Flow, Mass Air Flow being the preferred system as it handles modifications much better.  There is even an aftermarket intake base for the 351W and 351C, pricey but available.

Deciding between the two is personal and budget driven.  Never pay for the EFI in gas savings as long as you and your descendants drive the car.  As far as reliability goes either of those systems are bullet proof.  Parts are readily available at any parts store and every parts store has a "reader" to tell you what failed.

When it is all said and done, if you break down on the road you are broke down, don't matter if it is with EFI or a carb.  Don't know about you guys but I don't carry anything with me other then a "road tool box", a spare tire and jack, a gallon of water and two quarts of oil.

Forgot to add, when I built the 66 Falcon Ranchero I used a Fox body in tank fuel pump.  It mounts vertical, provides all the fuel you will need for a mild hopped up engine and was used in so many applications it is readily available in the parts houses.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II