News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Anyone ever see a set of these?

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2021-07-25 10:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

Found them from my pal at pre-sixties.... cheap... don't know if i will ever use them. but they are neat....Left or right....
I assume a lot of shock tower mounts broke....

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

Interesting, I have never seen one or knew they had them.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Hoosier Hurricane

I have seen them in the early seventies.  By that time I had learned to weld so I opted to re-weld my originals rather than spend my money for those clamp-on brackets.   John

terry_208

I have one of them that I took off my sedan. A fairly easy fix for a major problem!
Terry

rmk57

I would put a couple tack welds on the U-bolt / crossmember just for a little extra insurance.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

thomasso

Have a set on the shelf.  Factory upper brackets were so poorly welded as was everything on the chassis that I imagine they often broke off.  They probably sold a lot of them back in the day before everybody had a welder.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Ecode70D

Jef

Those brackets are really slick and should be on your wall of fame.
They must have helped a lot of guys out of a problem back in the day. 
Jay

gasman826

Those are great wall hangers! 

My parents' '57 was a farm car.  So most of its life was spent on country roads often overloaded and commonly carrying fuel and tools down lanes and into fields.  I remember trips to grandparents (more wash board, dirt roads) with Dad grumbling about another shock mount being loose and another trip to the dealer.  The clamp-on brackets offered a repair but not a fix.  If a good weld broke, that little, single u-bolt was only a stop-gap repair.  If the upper shock bracket was properly welded at the factory, a repair was rarely required.  I've seen upper brackets with only a third attachment and still lasted more than sixty years.  Just look at the poor weld quality on other parts of the frames.  In the '50s, a welder was a rare piece of equipment in dealership much less small repair shops or in home garages.  So a clamp-on repair bracket was better than none.

cokefirst

Bowman Products is one of a handful of companies that specialize in supplying fasteners to car dealerships and other industrial facilities. Lawson Products, Premier Products and Curtis Industries are some of the other but Curtis is out of business.  I worked as a Curtis rep in the early 1970's.  Things like the part above were sold as inexpensive repairs for dealerships and garages to solve a problem without breaking the bank.  These companies also sold body clips and had an impressive array of different types, both for specific applications and universal fit. 
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed