News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

C4

Started by alvin stadel, 2021-08-09 14:20

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

I can't seem to find the post, but not to long ago one of you said you had a C4 behind your 312. I need to get a different trans for one of my 57's and was wondering if you needed a special adaptor kit or ? I need a new pressure relief valve in the trans that is giving me trouble and they seem to be very scarce so thought I would up grade my trans if I don't have to change a lot of parts.

Hoosier Hurricane

Alvin,  I assume your '57 has a cast iron Fordomatic.  If so, if you don't mind a used valve, I have a few.  Cheap.   What's wrong with yours?  They rarely cause trouble.   John

djfordmanjack

Alvin, the easiest way would be a Bendtsen Speed Gems adapter kit. this one is for the AOD ( you would benefit from a 0.7 overdrive 4th gear). but it should also mount a C4. if you want to do that, make sure to call the shop and ask for their sound advice. I have such a kit and it is very well made with clear instructions. I have not yet driven it. There are many things that will need to be adressed with such a conversion like trans crossmember and mount, shift linkage, Mini starter ( from kit) aso. There may be many pros and cons for either transmission, Personally I like them all, the 57 3spd Fordo, AOD and especially the C4 which is a very smooth cruising type trans for me.

here is the link for the adapter kit.
https://transmissionadapters.com/collections/ford/products/ford-y-block-to-ford-aod

alvin stadel

I have 3 speed crus-o-matic , from a 59 . This is the 3rd one I have had and you are right they never seem to cause any problems. However this one will not shift into Drive one or high. It is adjusted correctly however when we put he vaccume gauge on it we found the problem. When in  park the pressure is right where it is suppose to be 60+, but when you shift into Drive the pressure goes to 216, should be 80 t0 85. So we thought it must be the pressure relieve valve. I have it at the shop that rebuilt it for me. They put in a new valve yesterday still no go, so they are going to go through the valve body again. I thought if all of this fails I would just go with a different trans, but since my first post I have come up with a FMX from a 86 that is in very good condition and will use it. This should bolt up to my bellhousing and should be able to use the same converter and flex plate.

djfordmanjack

Alvin, not certain on this one. But I don't think any modern Auto will 'bolt-on' to a Y block. Or are you thinking the main housing of an FMX will bolt to the 59 Fordo bellhousing ? That is something I never heard before.....but that would be too cool.

Hoosier Hurricane

The FMX case will bolt to a Y bellhousing by drilling holes in the top two ears of the case to match the tapped holes in the bellhousing.  The bottom two holes match up.   John

alvin stadel

You are right John, we looked this over pretty close and there is plenty of room to drill the 2 top holes.

RICH MUISE

Alvin, if that's the way you're going, are you familiar with transfer screws? It's a simple way to get accurate positioning of the clearance holes you need to drill. No measuring involved.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Rancher

What's the formula to end up with a starter ring-gear with this swap?

alvin stadel

None of that changes, I will still be using the same converter and flex plate, which are both new. I am not sure of this, John probably knows, but I think I may have to swap out the front pump, maybe.  Rancher, I will be using the same bell housing.

Rich I have never used the tool you are talking about but will check it out,

Rancher

I thought the converter's pump drive changed from a tang to a flat? Or vise verse? Maybe not?

To visualize a transfer-screw it's almost a set-screw with a sharp point.  Has a tiny hex to turn it by. Thread scew in just above flush  and give the workpiece a whack to mark location.

RICH MUISE

They are like a hardened set screw with a point. They are screwed in until just a small amount of the point is protruding. In this case, you'd bolt the case back up to the bellhousing, and when you tightened it down, the transfer screws would put small indents where the holes need to be. You can buy individual sets whatever thread size you need.
https://www.travers.com/7-piece-transfer-screw-set/p/71-604-209/?msclkid=48521a80ef4816e8fed77b94db448403&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BPA%20-%20Items%20-%20Hand%20and%20Power%20Tools&utm_term=4584963491978913&utm_content=BPA%20Item%20-%20Hot%20Item%7CHand%20and%20Power%20Tools%7CC%3A15
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

the Fordomatic converter will work on the FMX ? WOW!

Ford Blue blood

and there are "transfer punches" that do the same job.  They will work in the threaded holes as well.  I use them all the time to get perfect hole lineup....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II