News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New LED lights

Started by dgasman, 2021-07-29 14:43

Previous topic - Next topic

dgasman

Installed new LED tail lights on the Ranchero today. Nice and bright so hopefully the jerks in Los Angels will see me lol.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

RICH MUISE

Did you get the turn signals working ok with the LEDs?
I'm curious what's in the bay next to the Ranchero.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I put LEDs in the rear also. If you only put them in the rear you don't need a new flasher made for LEDs.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2021-07-30 09:26
That makes sense.
Something about installing 4 there isn't enough resistance for the stock flasher to work
bla bla bla  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

dgasman

I am using the same flasher that was in the Ranchero but they did give me a led flasher if it was needed.
The car next to the Ranchero is my Ranch wagon .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

DanTudor57

Which LEDs are you guys using? Where did you get them -- vendor?

hiball3985

Quote from: DanTudor57 on 2021-08-10 20:54
Which LEDs are you guys using? Where did you get them -- vendor?
Sorry I don't recall the brand, just bought them on Ebay. I made a bone head mistake the first time and ordered white ones  :005: LED light spectrum is different, if using in the tail lights you need red ones..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

dgasman

I bought mine from Larry?s Thunderbird. They have them listed for 57 T Birds , same tail lights. Easy to install
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

Ford Blue blood

Not sure anyone is interested in this tutorial but here goes.  LED's do not draw enough current to make the "old style" flashers work.  The "old style" flashers worked on a bimetallic strip.  Current drawn by the two lights heated the strip, opened the circuit, lights out, closed, light the lights and opened again.  Loose a front or rear light no flashing, add a trailer light and they flash really fast.  Newer flashers use a slightly different arrangement , the flasher opens and closes on it'e own simply turning off and on the lights.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Rancher

Some HD truck flashers provide a consistent flash regardless of lamp load. Some used to contain a tiny motor which switched contacts via eccentric. Solid state is the norm now.

I suppose a resistor or other load would "fool" a thermal flasher.