News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

2 diff things

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2021-08-09 07:56

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

hi,  1st,  my car has no power steering,  and i heard theres a conversion to change it to electric without removing any linkage etc,  has any  one heard of it?,       2nd,   how hard is it to change the brake system from the orig to a dual   master cyl?,   is there any info on that?,  thanks     jerry                         

Rancher

Hi Jerry,
You might have better luck starting two seperate topics with more descriptive titles; one in Brakes, one in Steering.
I was expecting to see two differential parts in here so had only casual interest.

That said, I have a power steering project in a slow simmer while I am mostly researching  options.
So I've done a good bit of recent hunting,.and  don't believe that any '57 specific  electric steering kit is on the market.

As far as a diy conversion, very basically, the column is cut and an electric rotary  booster is placed in-line with the column. I have never built one, just offering a short description - if that helps? It was discussed a bit recently, I'll try to find and post a link.

Beautiful car!

Edit - That link:
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5816.msg86098#new

Lou

Assuming you have stock brakes, why would you want to go to a duel master?

geraldchainsaw

ok,  about the brake master cyl,   your right,  orig brake system.    iknow this is posted in the wrong place,  but i'll answer Lous question.     guys in our club are talking about failures or how hard it is to brake on the highway,    i'mhappy with the orig,  it just takes a little more presure braking intown,    so i guess i'll just let things go as they are.     jerry

gasman826

Original is original once.  But, having multiple cars and having one with heavy effort steering and/or brakes makes for an uncomfortable adjustment period when moving from vehicle to vehicle.  I modify my old cars toward modern car performance to minimize the adjustment period for comfort as well as safety.

59meteor

Converting from a single reservoir manual brake master to a dual reservoir manual master cylinder, assuming the same bore size is retained will not change the brake pedal effort at all. As for the supposed safety advantage with a dual master, is mostly theoretical , in my personal opinion. As a recently retired auto mechanic for over 40 years, I have worked on many vehicles where a brake line rusted thru, a flex hose split, or a leaky caliper/wheel cylinder/master cylinder caused a loss of fluid, and in every case, the  brake pedal goes right to the floor, whether a single or dual master was used. Anybody who has ever bled the brakes on a vehicle with a dual master cylinder will have noticed the same thing, pedal goes all the way to the floor. A factory dual master system should trigger a "Brake" warning light in the dashboard, but personally, when the brake pedal goes to the floor, I don`t need an idiot light to tell me that something is wrong! My 59 still has manual brakes and steering, and I have no plans to change that, I consider it as part of the experience of driving a 60 year old car, it does not bother me in the least. Plus, that, in addition to the 4 speed manual transmission, means my wife has never asked to drive the car!
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

"Plus, that, in addition to the 4 speed manual transmission, means my wife has never asked to drive the car!"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :005:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

AND in today's world..also means little chance of it being stolen! Best theft device out there outside of a fuel cut-off!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

cokefirst

everyone has an opinion, and I respect the opinions of others.  I understand that I am driving a car that is 60 + years old.  I drive that car, knowing that it does not handle, steer or stop like a new car.  If you maintain your brakes, keep them adjusted, and change the fluid regularly. the old brake systems are reliable.  I was a youngster when all cars had a single master cylinder and do not recall cars crashing into each other because of master cylinder failure.  As far as power steering.  I would also go with the old school systme and find a set of parts to do the conversion.  I am not a fan of the aftermarket electric or the Borgeson system even though they are technically superior.  If you want a resto mod with the modern devices, then that is what you should do to your car.  If you want to keep your car as original as possible, then that is also your choice.

Flaming River makes a universal kit to convert to electric power steering. 
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

RICH MUISE

and Unisteer as well, available thru Summit. Not sure if you can keep the column shift with either....something to look into.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe