News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

first start up questions

Started by texasmark1, 2008-11-04 20:12

Previous topic - Next topic

texasmark1

fairly new member here in Texas. My question concerns first start up after engine rebuild... I've read and confirmed the usual stuff... run the oil pump to bring oil up into the top of the engine, valve covers off to confirm oil in rocker area, water in radiator with more ready as engine warms up, idle at approx 1500 RPM upon start up to seat various parts, make sure I have proper oil pressure and watch water temp...

my question is really about getting fuel to the carb from the tank (new one, of course!); I have a non-electric fuel pump, so I'm wondering about the length of time it will take to get the fuel flowing from the tank... is this just a matter of "grinding it" until start/fuel delivery comes on?  Guess I will have to "prime" the carb at first to get it started... any suggestions will be appreciated... By the way, have any of you googled "first engine start" or words to that effect?  the vids out there, mostly on Youtube are a scream; bunch of great Y blocks too!  Who knows, maybe mine will be up there some time soon!  thanks in advance, Mark
God Bless Texas!

Ford Blue blood

I use a small funnel and a short piece of hose to add some gas to the carb through the float bowl vent tube.  Most Holley carbs will safely take 1 cup.  You can pull the flex hose off the fuel pump and put a little air into the tank until it runs out the hose (or suck on the hose).  And then there is the ol "can I set my newly built car on fire" by splashing gas into the carb while cranking.........
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

jruss

I have left the fuel pump bolts loose and pumped the fuel pump up and down to get gas to the carb. Don`t pump it to hard as you might damage the fuel pump.

johns2000

Just pour about 1/4 cup of gas into the carb a couple of times and if you've got initial timing set right she'll fire right up, don't forget to have a thermostat in place or at least a gutted one so the water has enough time to sink the heat away from your heads. Lots of heat buildup in breaking in new parts!!

texasmark1

thanks for the suggestions... soon as I get my crank damper back from John Mummert, I should be able to put them to the test!  Would you believe my timeline on this car has been:

purchased, 1990;
engine rebuild, 1992;
body work done, 2005;
mostly back together, 2008 !!! 

Well, does "better late than never" still work?  We'll see in a week or so... 

I hope to be able to put a pic or two up for your enjoyment...

but given my history, don't look for them until around 2015!! 

thanks, Mark
God Bless Texas!