News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Auto City Classics Radiator

Started by Contibob, 2021-08-16 14:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Contibob

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I tried to install one of their radiators in my car and the fill tube hits my hood. I bought this almost four years ago and has been in a box on the shelf. I figured I would finally use it as one of my radiators is needs work.
Has any one else had this problem?

RICH MUISE

It takes a bit of work, but I got mine to fit and I have even moved it 1 1/4(?) towards the front, so it's even tighter that when in the normal position. I probably slotted some holes, can't remember doing much else except putting a 2 x 4 on top of the filler and wacking it with a hammer. A number of guys have used their radiators, and I don't recall anyone saying they couldn't make it fit. Would be nice if they made it a 1/4 to 1/2 or so shorter. I used silly putty on top of the radiator cap to check clearance by gently closing the hood. Found the silly putty in the toy section at a DollarTree.
5 years now with no issues with the radiator itself.......keeps my engine almost too cool. 195* all day long in 95* heat.
I'm assuming you're working with the v-8 version?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

59meteor

I had this same issue with the Auto City aluminum radiator in my 59 2 door sedan. All I did was drill 4 new holes above the mounting holes already in the radiator , which lowered the rad enough to clear the hood. Not sure how the 59 hood compares to a 57, the front section  of a 59 hood looks "taller", but the bar between the upper grill section and the hood is also much thinner.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Contibob

Mine is a V8. If it is mount lower by drilling new mount holes, do the auto trans lines still mount up? Mine on the original radiator are pretty close to the cross member already.

RICH MUISE

New lines on mine, but no issues.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Contibob

Thanks for the responses. People on this site are always very helpful.

59meteor

I have a 4 speed manual in my 59, but the cooler lines should be OK. My car is also using a V8 style radiator, so it is fairly close to the engine, using the factory V8 mounting location. I set the rad in place, with the lower tank resting on the frame crossmember, with about a 1/4" thick piece of cardboard in between, then I measured where to drill the new holes in the radiators mounting flanges.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.