News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

312 crank

Started by alvin stadel, 2021-10-12 09:30

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

About 9 or 10 years ago I was going to rebuild a 312. I had the block bored 40 over and the crank turned 20 under { I think}. Now it is to late in my life for me to rebuild or use it. I have had the crank in a bag laying on the bearing perches. The block is also setting in a bag.  A friend of mine was here yesterday and was asking me about the bagged items under my work bench. He told me that the crank is no doubt bent, because it is not standing straight up. Is this correct?  I know in machine shops you always see cranks standing on end.  Because of the way I have it set in the block I can't believe it would bend, in fact I have never heard of a crank bending. I hope to sell these parts so I hope I haven't screwed up.

rmk57

The only reason machine shops stand them on end is to save space. A crankshaft bending from laying on it's side for years is more than likely an old chevy tale.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

alvin stadel

That is kind of what I was thinking, however  it seems I still learn something new most every day, and some days I don't like what I learn.

mustang6984

It should be just fine. Rebuild the engine...make it look nice...doll up an engine stand and put it in the house as a work of art!   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Quote from: rmk57 on 2021-10-12 09:42
   The only reason machine shops stand them on end is to save space. A crankshaft bending from laying on it's side for years is more than likely an old chevy tale.
X2, thats exactly what the crank grinding company told me years ago. It should be fine..
But you should have seen the place after the 71 quake  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

59meteor

When you buy a new aftermarket crankshaft, it is shipped in a cardboard box, do not recall ever seeing a "This side up , or the crank will bend" on the boxes! And when you said that the crank was resting on the bearing perchs, I assume that you are refering to the main bearing saddles of the block, right? If so, how would that be any different than if it was an assembled engine?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2021-10-12 11:47
X2, thats exactly what the crank grinding company told me years ago. It should be fine..
But you should have seen the place after the 71 quake  :005:

I remember that quake...was in SD at the time. It put a crack in the high school main bldg from the basement/wall meet all the way to the top of the bell tower...about the equivalent of 5 stories. Led to the demolition of Old Main about 4 years later and the current building...which has no style at all. (Point Loma High)
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2021-10-12 13:06
I remember that quake...was in SD at the time. It put a crack in the high school main bldg from the basement/wall meet all the way to the top of the bell tower...about the equivalent of 5 stories. Led to the demolition of Old Main about 4 years later and the current building...which has no style at all. (Point Loma High)
I was living in Burbank and about 1/2 mile from the crankshaft company. I didn't see the mess until 2-3 days after and they were still sorting through it. There were easily 100+ cranks on the ground..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

OUCH! Poor cranks. I remember most the pic of the hospital that had just been built...three wings were down and the fourth was leaning. Scary sight. Don't remember if it was occupied or not at the time.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

I was in Harbor City, had only been in California a few weeks..........almost moved back to Mass.!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe